What is the minimum number of Polarizers needed

• Thread starter ah011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
In summary, the problem is asking for the minimum number of polarizers needed to reduce the intensity of transmitted light to less than 9% of the original intensity. The formula for intensity after passing through x polarizers is I0cos^2(25x), where I0 is the original intensity and 25 is the rotation angle of each polarizer. The solution involves finding the value of x that makes I0cos^2(25x) less than 9% of I0.
ah011

Homework Statement

A polarized light is incident on several polarizing disks whose planes are parallel and centred on common axis. Suppose that the transmission axis of the first polarizer is rotated 25° relative to the axis of polarization of the incident light, and that the transmission axis of each additional analyzer is rotated 25° relative to the transmission axis of the previous one. What is the minimum number of polarizer needed (whole number), so the transmitted light through all polarizing sheets has an intensity that is less than 9% that striking the first polarizer?

Homework Equations

upload_2016-3-9_19-33-10.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the question is asking for the number of polarizers needed, you start by looking at 25 degrees take the cos^2(25). Then, since they are parallel and centered on a common axis it must be added to cos^2(25-9). I am not sure what to do after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone reply this question is making me tear my hair out

Hint : Intensity after passing through one polarizer is I0cos2250, after the second, I0cos4250, ...Do you see a general formula for the intensity after passing through x polarizers?

Also, you typically don't want to be the first one to reply to your own thread. It is no longer visible in the 'Unanswered Threads' column, and people are less likely to visit this thread.

ah011 said:
Then, since they are parallel and centered on a common axis it must be added to cos^2(25-9).
That's a very strange conclusion. Where did you get the 9 degrees from? It makes me think you misunderstand the arrangement.

What is the minimum number of Polarizers needed?

The minimum number of polarizers needed is two. This is because a polarizer can only filter out light waves vibrating in a specific direction, so a second polarizer is needed to block out all remaining light waves.

Why can't one polarizer be enough?

One polarizer cannot be enough because it can only filter out light waves vibrating in a specific direction. This means that there will still be some light waves passing through, resulting in a partially polarized beam of light. A second polarizer is needed to block out all remaining light waves and fully polarize the light.

What happens when multiple polarizers are used?

When multiple polarizers are used, the amount of light passing through decreases. This is because each polarizer further limits the number of light waves passing through, resulting in a darker and more polarized beam of light.

Can the minimum number of polarizers be more than two?

Yes, the minimum number of polarizers can be more than two. In fact, the more polarizers used, the darker and more polarized the beam of light will be. However, using more than two polarizers may not be practical or necessary for most applications.

How do you determine the optimal angle for polarizers?

The optimal angle for polarizers is determined by the angle between the polarizers. This angle should be 90 degrees for maximum polarization. However, it can be adjusted to allow some light to pass through, resulting in a partially polarized beam of light. The optimal angle can also be affected by the properties of the light source and the material of the polarizers.