What is the minimum pulse width for switching a DC voltage/current?

In summary, the minimum pulse width for switching a DC voltage/current is determined by the switching device and its capabilities. Generally, the minimum pulse width should be at least 10 times smaller than the switching device's response time in order to ensure efficient and accurate switching. However, this minimum pulse width may also vary depending on the specific application and the desired level of precision. It is important to carefully consider the capabilities and specifications of the switching device in order to determine the appropriate minimum pulse width for a given DC voltage/current.
thavamaran
Hi guys. I recently posted to discuss on switching signals. I have resolved that.

Now, I am trying to switch a DC voltage/current.

Say I am supply a DC stable bias current of about 40 mA. If I want to switch it off at certain time interval, maximum of 40 us. Which means, the maximum pulsewidth of the control pulse will be 40 us.

After 40 us, I don't want any direct current to go through the switch.

Can anyone suggest a switching IC operates at this region? I googled it, and I don't seem to get a right answer.

Any advice please?

Engineering news on Phys.org
thavamaran said:
Hi guys. I recently posted to discuss on switching signals. I have resolved that.

Now, I am trying to switch a DC voltage/current.

Say I am supply a DC stable bias current of about 40 mA. If I want to switch it off at certain time interval, maximum of 40 us. Which means, the maximum pulsewidth of the control pulse will be 40 us.

After 40 us, I don't want any direct current to go through the switch.

Can anyone suggest a switching IC operates at this region? I googled it, and I don't seem to get a right answer.

Any advice please?

You can use Analog Switch ICs, or you can make a controllable current source. What is the application?

Most IC's that I have seen doesn't operate in DC. Its for biasing a laser. We have to supply a certain amount of current, say 40 mA to drive it.

I just want to switch it off at some time interval. Do you have suggestion. Thanks for your reply.

Hi Berkeman. Do you have any example of a switched current source. Its just me working in this project. Cheers.

You mention the maximum pulse with is 40uS.
What is the minimum?

Also, you'll want to decide if you want to pull current though the load or source current into the load.
http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/sinksource.pdf

Anyway, if you want to source current from the supply section 4 and 5 in this document show how to make a simple one that will be fast enough to settle in a few uS and have ok accuracy.
http://www.tedpavlic.com/teaching/osu/ece327/lab1_bjt/lab1_bjt_transistor_basics.pdf

Related to What is the minimum pulse width for switching a DC voltage/current?

1. What is Direct Current Switching?

Direct Current Switching is the process of turning a direct current (DC) circuit on or off using a switch. This can be achieved by physically opening or closing a switch, or through electronic components such as transistors.

2. How does Direct Current Switching differ from Alternating Current Switching?

Direct Current Switching involves controlling the flow of electricity in a one-way direction, while Alternating Current Switching deals with the flow of electricity that periodically reverses direction. This requires different types of switches and electronic components.

3. What are some common applications of Direct Current Switching?

Direct Current Switching is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, mobile phones, and power supplies. It is also used in industrial machinery, transportation systems, and renewable energy systems.

4. What are some advantages of Direct Current Switching?

Direct Current Switching is known for its efficiency, reliability, and simplicity. It is also easier to control and manipulate compared to Alternating Current Switching. Additionally, DC systems require less insulation and are less prone to electromagnetic interference.

5. What are some potential challenges in Direct Current Switching?

One of the main challenges in Direct Current Switching is the limitation of distance due to voltage drop. This can be addressed by using higher voltage levels, but it also requires additional safety precautions. Another challenge is the difficulty in finding suitable switches and components that can handle high DC currents.