What Is the Minimum Value of n for Resistors in Series and Parallel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter terryds
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resistor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
terryds
Messages
392
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


The equivalent resistance of the series combination of two resistors is p.When
they are joined in parallel, the equivalent resistance is q. If p = nq, find the
minimum possible value of n.

Homework Equations


1/Rparallel = 1/R1+1/R2+...
Rseries = R1+R2+...

The Attempt at a Solution



R1+R2=p
R1 R2 / ( R1 + R2 ) = q

Then, I substitute p as nq

R1+R2=nq
R1 R2 / ( R1 + R2 ) = q

I divide the equation 1 and equation 2 and get
##n=\frac{(R_1+R_2)^{2}}{R_1R_2}##
which I think that the minimum value is zero

However, the textbook says that the answer is 4
Please help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:

Homework Statement


The equivalent resistance of the series combination of two resistors is p.When
they are joined in parallel, the equivalent resistance is q. If p = nq, find the
minimum possible value of n.

Homework Equations


1/Rparallel = 1/R1+1/R2+...
Rseries = R1+R2+...

The Attempt at a Solution



R1+R2=p
R1 R2 / ( R1 + R2 ) = q

Then, I substitute p as nq

R1+R2=nq
R1 R2 / ( R1 + R2 ) = q

I divide the equation 1 and equation 2 and get
##n=\frac{(R_1+R_2)^{2}}{R_1R_2}##
which I think that the minimum value is zero

However, the textbook says that the answer is 4
Please help

R1+R2=nq. Resistances are positive quantities. If n=0 R1+R2 =0. Is it possible?
 
ehild said:
R1+R2=nq. Resistances are positive quantities. If n=0 R1+R2 =0. Is it possible?
Hmm.. Yes, you're right.. It's impossible

So, how come we get 4 ??

I think of using derivative to get the minimum value..
The y-axis is n
But, I don't know what my x-axis is.
 
ehild said:
How are the arithmetic mean and geometric mean related? Apply that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequality_of_arithmetic_and_geometric_means
You can also differentiate with respect to any resistance and equate the derivative with zero.
##
n=\frac{R_1^2+2R_1R_2+R_2^2}{R_1R_2} = 2 + \frac{R_1^2}{R_1R_2} + \frac{R_2^2}{R_1R_2}
##

The AM GM of function y= ##\frac{R_1^2}{R_1R_2} + \frac{R_2^2}{R_1R_2}## is
##
\frac{R_1^2+R_2^2}{R_1R_2} \geq 2\sqrt{\frac{R_1^2 R_2^2}{R_1^2 R_2^2}}
##
## \frac{R_1^2+R_2^2}{R_1R_2} \geq 2 ## The minimum value of this function is 2
So, the minimum value of n is 2+2 = 4...
Thanks a lot for your help !