The equivalent resistance for the resistors in this circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Islam Sabry
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If the circuit of parallel and series resistors , is as follows , what's the equivalent resistance for the group?

Homework Equations


neglecting the battery internal resistance... irrelevant to the question.

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to do the following
R1=8+12=20 ohms
R2=4+6=10 ohms
R3=9 ohms
then,
R(equivalent)= R1//R2//R3

but I'm not sure!
 

Attachments

  • 18j.jpg
    18j.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Ω
Islam Sabry said:

Homework Statement


If the circuit of parallel and series resistors , is as follows , what's the equivalent resistance for the group?

Homework Equations


neglecting the battery internal resistance... irrelevant to the question.

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to do the following
R1=8+12=20 ohms
R2=4+6=10 ohms
R3=9 ohms
then,
R(equivalent)= R1//R2//R3

but I'm not sure!
I am not sure how the double slashes in R1//R2//R3 are interpreted mathematically. Can you imagine what the potential difference across the 9 Ω resistor might be?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters
means that R1 , R2, and R3 are connected in parallel ... and the question contains no voltage value..sorry if it's vague.
 
Islam Sabry said:
R1=8+12=20 ohms
True, but not useful since the current is not flowing through these two in turn.
Create unknowns for all the voltages and currents, write down all the equations, and solve.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Islam Sabry
For this circuit there is an easy way to solve it. Take a look at the resistor values and think about potential dividers and symmetry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Islam Sabry and gneill
Islam Sabry said:

Homework Statement


If the circuit of parallel and series resistors , is as follows , what's the equivalent resistance for the group?

Homework Equations


neglecting the battery internal resistance... irrelevant to the question.

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to do the following
R1=8+12=20 ohms
R2=4+6=10 ohms
R3=9 ohms
then,
R(equivalent)= R1//R2//R3

but I'm not sure!
Denote the nodes where the 9 Ω resistor is connected as X and Y.

Now imagine the circuit with the 9 Ω resistor temporarily removed. With the 9 Ω resistor gone, write expressions for the voltage at X and the voltage at Y.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Islam Sabry