Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the most efficient radiator shape?

1. May 28, 2018 #1
    What is the highest efficiency (electromagnetic) radiator shape? Meaning, a shape with the highest radiated power/volume (radiated power is in this case dependent only on surface area and how much of the radiation is reabsorbed by the radiatior)

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean antenna design? It depends on frequency.

4. May 28, 2018 #3
    No, I mean an engine radiator, emitting infrared at about 250 Kelvin

5. May 28, 2018 #4

berkeman

That makes no sense to me.

Please help us to help you.

Do you mean like the radiator in the front of your car? Or radiators on spacecraft to shed excess heat? Please don't keep us guessing. Can you use Google Images to find an image of the kinds of "radiators" that you are asking about?

6. May 29, 2018 #5
    I'm talking about a radiator that exchanges heat only by thermal radiation - no convection or heat conduction *out* from it. Somewhat similar to a spacecraft radiator, but without constraints on weight and portability. I should also add that a single flat surface is not what im after, even though it's probably the most radiative per volume.

7. May 29, 2018 #6
    Nevermind, actually a flat, as thin as possible plane could work, and it's indeed mathematically the most efficient shape for a radiator! neat, sorry for the confusion guys :)

8. May 29, 2018 #7

anorlunda

It appears that the OP answered his own question. There is nothing more to add. Thread locked.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook