What is the most efficient radiator shape?

In summary, a radiator with the highest efficiency is a flat, thin plane that emits infrared radiation.
Christofer Br
What is the highest efficiency (electromagnetic) radiator shape? Meaning, a shape with the highest radiated power/volume (radiated power is in this case dependent only on surface area and how much of the radiation is reabsorbed by the radiatior)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean antenna design? It depends on frequency.

anorlunda said:
Do you mean antenna design? It depends on frequency.
No, I mean an engine radiator, emitting infrared at about 250 Kelvin

Christofer Br said:
What is the highest efficiency (electromagnetic) radiator shape?
Christofer Br said:
No, I mean an engine radiator, emitting infrared at about 250 Kelvin
That makes no sense to me.

Please help us to help you.

Do you mean like the radiator in the front of your car? Or radiators on spacecraft to shed excess heat? Please don't keep us guessing. Can you use Google Images to find an image of the kinds of "radiators" that you are asking about?

berkeman said:
That makes no sense to me.

Please help us to help you.

Do you mean like the radiator in the front of your car? Or radiators on spacecraft to shed excess heat? Please don't keep us guessing. Can you use Google Images to find an image of the kinds of "radiators" that you are asking about?
I'm talking about a radiator that exchanges heat only by thermal radiation - no convection or heat conduction *out* from it. Somewhat similar to a spacecraft radiator, but without constraints on weight and portability. I should also add that a single flat surface is not what I am after, even though it's probably the most radiative per volume.

Nevermind, actually a flat, as thin as possible plane could work, and it's indeed mathematically the most efficient shape for a radiator! neat, sorry for the confusion guys :)

It appears that the OP answered his own question. There is nothing more to add. Thread locked.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the most efficient shape for a radiator?

The most efficient shape for a radiator is a flat panel with a series of parallel fins or tubes attached to it. This allows for maximum surface area for heat transfer and minimal obstruction of air flow.

2. How does the shape of a radiator affect its efficiency?

The shape of a radiator directly impacts its efficiency by determining the surface area available for heat transfer and the obstruction of air flow. A larger surface area and minimal obstruction will result in a more efficient radiator.

3. Are there any other shapes that can be as efficient as a flat panel radiator?

While a flat panel radiator is typically the most efficient shape, there are other designs that can be equally efficient. These include tubular, convection, and panel radiators, all of which have different shapes and methods of heat transfer.

4. Can the efficiency of a radiator be improved by changing its shape?

Yes, the efficiency of a radiator can be improved by changing its shape. By increasing the surface area for heat transfer and reducing obstructions, the radiator can become more efficient. However, other factors such as the material and size of the radiator also play a role in its efficiency.

5. Is there a specific shape that is best for all types of radiators?

No, there is no one shape that is best for all types of radiators. The most efficient shape will depend on the specific design and purpose of the radiator, as well as the surrounding environment and conditions. It is important to consider all factors when determining the most efficient shape for a radiator.