Most efficient convergent nozzle

In summary, the most efficient convergent nozzle available now at present is a De Laval nozzle. It has a discharge coefficient of 0.995, which makes it very efficient.
T C
I want to know what's the most efficient type convergent nozzle available now at present. I means what's the shape that is most efficient for a convergent nozzle. By efficiency, I want to mean that the inlet velocity to throat velocity ratio will be as close as possible to the throat area to inlet area ratio.

Engineering news on Phys.org
T C said:
I want to know what's the most efficient type convergent nozzle available now at present. I means what's the shape that is most efficient for a convergent nozzle. By efficiency, I want to mean that the inlet velocity to throat velocity ratio will be as close as possible to the throat area to inlet area ratio.
Wellllll...for incompressible flow, all nozzles must meet that criteria due to conservation of mass (continuity).

And for compressible flow, the velocity ratio and area ratio are by definition unchained.

So the question doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but for most of your questions the answer of a De Laval nozzle should suffice.

It would probably be better, though, to specify what you are trying to do - what fluid and conditions you are looking for, entering and leaving, and engineer your device from there.

Likes jim hardy
This book has a good chapter on how to design them for steam using a Mollier chart.
upload_2019-1-20_10-31-17.png

I suppose the principles would apply to other compressible fluids.

Another good reference for steam, but harder to find, would be Salisbury's classic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042GKXMI/?tag=pfamazon01-20

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-20_10-31-17.png
    upload_2019-1-20_10-31-17.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 474
Likes russ_watters
Convergent nozzles tend to be pretty efficient, though if you're running a compressible fluid with a high(ish) mach number, your velocity ratios and area ratios won't match due to compressibility effects. What's your application and why are you so concerned with nozzle efficiency?

Likes russ_watters
If you're measuring flow
in my plant , for feedwater flow we used a converging-diverging Venturi tube made to ASME standards.

upload_2019-1-21_14-56-11.png

To best of my memory It had a discharge coefficient of 0.995 so was pretty doggone 'efficient' .
That measurement we used to calculate the reactor's power production so we wanted it accurate - even applied corrections for local gravity.

See ASME's book "Fluid Meters"
https://www.asme.org/products/books/fluid-meters-theory-application-sixth

here's an overview ,
ftp://ftp.unicauca.edu.co/Facultades/FIET/DEIC/Materias/Instrumentacion%20Industrial/Instrument_Engineers__Handbook_-_Process_Measurement_and_Analysis/Instrument%20Engineers'%20Handbook%20-%20Process%20Measurement%20and%20Analysis/1083ch2_29.pdf

in my circles that ASME book is "The Bible": .

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-21_14-56-11.png
    upload_2019-1-21_14-56-11.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 552
Likes ChemAir
ASME configuration nozzles are extremely efficient i.e.>.99% of the theoretical flow for gases. The below document has both nozzle configuration dimensions and a discussion related to their accuracy.

http://www.fmcltd.uk.com/flow-nozzle-asme-ptc6.php

Likes russ_watters and jim hardy
JBA said:
The below document has both nozzle configuration dimensions and a discussion related to their accuracy.
What a great reference !
Thanks !

Thanks to everybody for their contributions.

1. What is a convergent nozzle?

A convergent nozzle is a type of nozzle that is used to accelerate and direct the flow of a fluid, such as gas or liquid. It is typically used in jet engines, rockets, and other propulsion systems.

2. How does a convergent nozzle work?

A convergent nozzle works by decreasing the cross-sectional area of the nozzle, which increases the velocity of the fluid passing through it. This increase in velocity creates a thrust force, which can be used to propel an object forward.

3. What makes a convergent nozzle efficient?

A convergent nozzle is considered efficient when it is able to achieve a high velocity and thrust while minimizing energy losses. This can be achieved through careful design and optimization of the nozzle's shape and dimensions.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a convergent nozzle?

The efficiency of a convergent nozzle can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the nozzle, the fluid properties, and the operating conditions. Other factors, such as the presence of shock waves and boundary layer effects, can also impact the efficiency of the nozzle.

5. What are some applications of efficient convergent nozzles?

Efficient convergent nozzles have a wide range of applications, including in aerospace and aviation industries for propulsion systems, in chemical and industrial processes for fluid control, and in research and development for testing and experimentation purposes.