1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name of this Hamiltonian?

  1. Jul 29, 2014 #1
    Hello (and sorry for this stupid question),

    Could someone tell me the name of this Hamiltonian

    [tex] H = \left(\dfrac{p^2+q^2}{2}\right)^2 [/tex]

    Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2014 #2


    Staff: Mentor

  4. Jul 29, 2014 #3
    I'm just looking for the name that is called in the scientific literature. I am not looking for the Hamiltonian theory.
  5. Jul 29, 2014 #4


    Staff: Mentor

    In the article, it shows a specific hamiltonian similar to yours and relates it to a "Heisenberg group" under the topic Sub-Riemannian manifolds.

    Its unfortunate that the URL didn't directly jump there as expected.
  6. Jul 29, 2014 #5


    Staff: Mentor

    Or maybe this one:

  7. Jul 29, 2014 #6
    Ok, Thank you jedishrfu.

    However, there are subtle differences between these two Hamiltonians. "My" can be thought of as the Hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator squared:

    [tex] H = H_{HO}^2 [/tex]


    [tex] H_{HO} = \dfrac{1}{2}(p^2+q^2) [/tex].
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook