What is the name of this Hamiltonian?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kinichi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hamiltonian
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
kinichi
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello (and sorry for this stupid question),

Could someone tell me the name of this Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \left(\dfrac{p^2+q^2}{2}\right)^2[/tex]

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just looking for the name that is called in the scientific literature. I am not looking for the Hamiltonian theory.
 
kinichi said:
I'm just looking for the name that is called in the scientific literature. I am not looking for the Hamiltonian theory.

In the article, it shows a specific hamiltonian similar to yours and relates it to a "Heisenberg group" under the topic Sub-Riemannian manifolds.

Its unfortunate that the URL didn't directly jump there as expected.
 
Ok, Thank you jedishrfu.

However, there are subtle differences between these two Hamiltonians. "My" can be thought of as the Hamiltonian of the harmonic oscillator squared:

[tex]H = H_{HO}^2[/tex]

where

[tex]H_{HO} = \dfrac{1}{2}(p^2+q^2)[/tex].
 
Last edited: