Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name of this pipette?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    I used a pipette which has a button in the top. And we used it to measure microliters. I don't know its name so I searched the internet. It this the pipette I am looking for?
    volumeter.jpg
    Some say it is button pipette while other say it is pasteur pipette. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Google "eppendorf pipette"

Also known as a micro volume pipetter. The disposable tips are commonly referred to as "pipette tips". Actually, the tip itself is the only part that is technically a pipette. The fancy dial-a-volume device is just a glorified pipette bulb that can deliver accurately a known volume reproducibly.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. Nov 19, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

I've always heard them being called 'micropipettes'. Eppendorf is a brand name, isn't it?

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but in some places it became the common name.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Nov 19, 2009 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I thought an Eppendorf was a microcentrifuge tube? Genericized AND disambiguated! Anyways, the Fisher catalogue and I call it a pipetter / pipettor.

I think a Pasteur pipette refers only to the cheap disposable glass pipettes that you have to attach a rubber bulb to.

7. Nov 19, 2009 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In our lab we used to call them "eppendorf" pipettes even when they were manufactured by Rainin as is shown in the photograph above.

8. Nov 19, 2009 #7
    Thanks all for your help! I was very confused. :)

9. Nov 19, 2009 #8

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Another common name is pipetman which is another popular brand of micropipetor.

10. Nov 23, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When they're manufactured by Rainin, it is a Pipetman. This led to other fun in the labs I've worked in, because of course we then had to rename other items as PipetWoman, PipetBoy, PipetGirl, PipetBaby...

You wouldn't call a product by Rainin an Eppendorf anything. Eppendorf makes a full line of lab equipment, not just micropipettes (which is what this thing is generically called).

The style shown in the photo is my favorite brand! When I would have to pipette literally a thousand samples in a few hours (different samples, so I couldn't use the digital automated ones), that magnetic assist on that brand is the only one that didn't KILL my thumb. (I think the correct term for the repetitive stress disorder one acquires from using those is "pipettor's thumb." :biggrin:)

Pasteur pipettes are the glass pipets you use with an old-fashioned rubber bulb on the top.

11. Dec 1, 2009 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Why not? In Poland customary name of instant coffee is "neska" - like in Nescafe. Doesn't matter who produced it - Tchibo, Maxwell House - it is always called "neska". Same situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  12. Dec 3, 2009 #11
    "Pipetman" is a trademark of Gilson. They invented the variable-volume pipette. Rainin WAS merely a distributor of Gilson pipettes until the two companies split over some business tactic issues (Google: Gilson Rainin court case.) Now Rainin manufactures and sells their own line of pipettes which look VERY similar to a Pipetman.

Every other variable volume pipette is a facsimile of a Gilson, especially the ones that look almost identical! Like Rainin, Jenncon, VWR, etc...but none can match the quality and precision of a TRUE Gilson Pipetman pipette.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook