What is the name of this shape with unequal sides?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Shape
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 5K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FP! :smile:

A pentagon is a good name for this. A pentagon is just a thingy with 5 corners and 5 sides.
It isn't a regular pentagon though, for that we would require all sides and all angles to be equal.
 
Hi micromass! :) (I love this new "hi" thing lol!)

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to find X here

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3268/yjjjj.jpg

And I know the area is 3375 cm squared. I was hoping the relate the formula for area for this shape to X, but I'm unable to find its formula on my formula page (I can't find the shape, even)

Oh, and there's no "diamond" there :P
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see. Well, I guess the area of a parallellogram is on your formula page?

Well, let's try to find a formula for the giant diamond (I love that name :biggrin:)

The trick is to subdivide the giant diamond into a parallellogram and a triangle. Just take the two mid-vertices (not the vertices on top and not the vertex on the bottom) and connect them with a line. Now the top is a parallellogram and the bottom is a triangle. Can you find the area of the parallellogram and the triangle?
 
micromass said:
Ah, I see. Well, I guess the area of a parallellogram is on your formula page?

Well, let's try to find a formula for the giant diamond (I love that name :biggrin:)

The trick is to subdivide the giant diamond into a parallellogram and a triangle. Just take the two mid-vertices (not the vertices on top and not the vertex on the bottom) and connect them with a line. Now the top is a parallellogram and the bottom is a triangle. Can you find the area of the parallellogram and the triangle?

I think you mean a trapezoid, not a parallelogram.
 
Femme_physics said:
The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to find X here

The figure is symmetrical about that dotted centre line, so concentrate on finding the area of just one of those halves and make it easier for yourself.

Divide the shape up into simpler shapes whose area you can find, viz., rectangles and triangles. Looks like the height of the lowest triangle will be (X - 30). Add the areas together, and equate them to half of 3375 cm2

You end up with one equation and one unknown. Solve for X. :smile:
 
micromass said:
Ah, I see. Well, I guess the area of a parallellogram is on your formula page?

Well, let's try to find a formula for the giant diamond (I love that name :biggrin:)

The trick is to subdivide the giant diamond into a parallellogram and a triangle. Just take the two mid-vertices (not the vertices on top and not the vertex on the bottom) and connect them with a line. Now the top is a parallellogram and the bottom is a triangle. Can you find the area of the parallellogram and the triangle?
Hmm.. I see what you're saying! That's brilliant.

I can just take a trapezoid area and add the triangle's area, like thathttp://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5277/triy.jpg

Though from some reason I've still gotten the wrong X. Is this the right equation?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My late Uncle Jor-el says it's our old family crest. He says it should have a big "S" in it.
 
NascentOxygen said:
Divide the shape up into simpler shapes whose area you can find, viz., rectangles and triangles. Looks like the height of the lowest triangle will be (X - 30). Add the areas together, and equate them to half of 3375 cm2
That's a bit more work than Micromass' method, IMO.

Femme_physics said:
Though from some reason I've still gotten the wrong X. Is this the right equation?
What did you get for X, and what was the answer supposed to be?
 
It's X = 75 which I actually got -- I forgot to multiply the other side by 2 *oops*

Thanks, everyone!