Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name of this theorem? (complex analysis)

  1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    I am working on a problem to evaluate integrals with simple poles offset by ε above/below the real axis. So something like this

    ∫ [ f(x) / (x-x0-iε) ]

    The answer is the sum of two integrals: the principal value of the integral with ε=0 plus the integral of iπδ(x-x0).

    I have done the proof for the answer but my residue is off by a factor of a half (I have a factor of 2 in front of the delta, and I'm not sure why).

    Does anyone know the name of this theorem and a place for the derivation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2
  4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook