Complex analysis - Louvilles Theorem (I think)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in complex analysis involving the application of Liouville's theorem. The problem requires showing that if an entire function is bounded by a constant times the modulus of the complex variable, then it must be of the form wz for some complex constant w. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of remembering theorems and propositions in exams and suggests using an auxiliary function to solve the problem.
jrp131191
Hi I am doing a past exam for my complex analysis course and I should just mention right now that while it's a mix of pure/applied math I have never done a pure math unit before and i really really really suck at doing proofs and such..

Given c>0 and f(z) is entire such that |f(z)| ≤ c|z| show that :

f(z)=wz for some complex constant w.

I just have no idea how to tackle problems like this whatsoever and have to turn to google and notes which I obviously won't be able to do in the exam. Also I have trouble remembering all these theorems, corollaries, propositions..

My attempt at a solution was to state Louvilles theorem which is that if:

|f(z)|≤M and f(z) is entire then f(z)=w.. I don't really know where to go from here..

Any tips for tackling problems like this would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are in the good path. Just apply Liouville's theorem to the auxiliary function $$g(z)=\frac{f(z)}{z}\text,$$ which is entire because ##f(z)=0## and we can continue ##g## to the origin as $$g(0)=\lim_{z\to 0}\frac{f(z)}{z}\text.$$

Alberto7 said:
I think you are in the good path. Just apply Liouville's theorem to the auxiliary function $$g(z)=\frac{f(z)}{z}\text,$$ which is entire because ##f(z)=0## and we can continue ##g## to the origin as $$g(0)=\lim_{z\to 0}\frac{f(z)}{z}\text.$$

Alberto7: what do you mean f(z)=0? Maybe you mean to say that, _if_ f(z)=0 , then

the discontinuity at z=0 can be removed (e.g., by the Riemann removable singularity

theorem, since |f(z)/z|<c <oo)?

Then, following (what I think was) Alberto7's idea ,

|f(z)/z| itself is entire and bounded, so...

Sorry, I meant ##f(0)=0##.

Last edited:
jrp: you should have some theorem in your textbook saying that if f is analytic (holomorphic) and bounded in some punctured neigborhood of a point a (or something simililar), then f can be extended to be analytic at a too. Apply this to f(z)/z and proceed as Alberto7 and Bacle2 suggested.

Last edited:

Related to Complex analysis - Louvilles Theorem (I think)

1. What is Louville's Theorem in complex analysis?

Louville's Theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states any bounded entire function must be a constant. In other words, if a function is analytic on the entire complex plane and has a finite limit at infinity, it has no poles and is therefore constant.

2. How is Louville's Theorem useful in complex analysis?

Louville's Theorem is useful in proving the existence of certain types of functions, such as polynomial or trigonometric functions, in complex analysis. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as differential equations and number theory.

3. Can Louville's Theorem be extended to functions with singularities?

No, Louville's Theorem only applies to functions that are analytic on the entire complex plane. Functions with singularities, such as poles or branch points, do not satisfy the requirements of the theorem.

4. Is there a converse to Louville's Theorem?

Yes, there is a converse to Louville's Theorem known as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. It states that any non-constant polynomial function must have at least one zero in the complex plane. This is a consequence of Louville's Theorem, as any polynomial function that does not have a zero would be bounded and therefore constant.

5. Are there any generalizations of Louville's Theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations of Louville's Theorem, such as the Picard's Theorem and the Casorati-Weierstrass Theorem. These theorems provide conditions for the behavior of analytic functions near singularities and are important tools in complex analysis.