What is the net force acting on a wheel with a cord wrapped around it?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
Amar.alchemy
Messages
78
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A cord is wrapped around the rim of a solid uniform wheel 0.250 m in radius and of mass 9.20 kg. A steady horizontal pull of 40.0 N to the right is exerted on the cord, pulling it off tangentially from the wheel. The wheel is mounted on frictionless bearings on a horizontal axle through its center. Find the magnitude and direction of the force that the axle exerts on the wheel

Homework Equations


Newtons laws

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand that there are normal force and weight along y-axis. However I'm confused whether there is any x-component force exerted by the axle on the wheel. Kindly explain me??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be wrong as I haven't reached this subject matter just yet, but I think you need to take into consideration the fact that there is 0 linear translation of the center of mass.

Another force is suddenly required.
 
RoyalCat said:
I might be wrong as I haven't reached this subject matter just yet, but I think you need to take into consideration the fact that there is 0 linear translation of the center of mass.

Another force is suddenly required.

can u please explain it with little more details??
 
Amar.alchemy said:
can u please explain it with little more details??

The center of mass isn't moving, what does that say about the net force acting on the mass?