What is the net force on a weather rocket during its flight?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
bcjochim07
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A small rocket to gather weather data is launched straight up. Several seconds into the flight, its velocity is 120 m/s and it is accelerating at 18 m/s^2. At this instant, the rocket's mass is 48 kg and it is losing mass at the rate of .5 kg/s as it burns fuel. What is the net force on the rocket? Hint: Newton's second law was presented in a new form in this chapter


Homework Equations


p=mv F=dmv/dt F=dp/dt


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to come up with a formula for momentum with respect to time and then differentiate it to find force, but it's not making sense to me.

I tried to say that at this instant dm/dt= -.5 and dv/dt = 18 and then I tried to multiply those but that clearly is not correct reasoning. I'm pretty sure I'm not looking at this problem right. Any hints?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

bcjochim07 said:
I tried to say that at this instant dm/dt= -.5 and dv/dt = 18 and then I tried to multiply those but that clearly is not correct reasoning. I'm pretty sure I'm not looking at this problem right. Any hints?

Hi bcjochim07 ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

A hint? :rolleyes: … yes! …

Product rule: d(mv)/dt = mdv/dt + vdm/dt. :smile: