What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Physics news on Phys.org
In my email:

" Hi, I would like to let you know about our fast cash service plan".

Me:

" I prefer to know about your unsubscribe me for good plan instead"

Unsuscribe is given as an option but you need to enter your email address; I suspect for them to confirm it is a real, active address.
 
fresh_42 said:
And I thought you would have answered:
"I prefer cash that is slow and stays with me."
What's wrong with a 1% * rate ?

*Hourly rate.
 
I finally figured out the query for the state with the most invoices short version: 5 lines instead of 13. No Over() nor partition.
... 2 years after the interview.
 
Whenever I'm stuck having to use a pen other than a Pilot G-2 I cry a little, inside.
 
collinsmark said:
Whenever I'm stuck having to use a pen other than a Pilot G-2 I cry a little inside.
Im lucky if a pen lasts me for more than a few days before either fully drying out or having ink all over me when I pick them out.
 
WWGD said:
I finally figured out the query for the state with the most invoices short version: 5 lines instead of 13. No Over() nor partition.
... 2 years after the interview.
How does it handle the case where multiple states tie for maximum number of invoices?
 
Ibix said:
How does it handle the case where multiple states tie for maximum number of invoices?
I'll tell you in 2021? Good point. Let me get on my PC , harder to write from my phone. You may be right; I may need some t-sql like cubing, rollup , etc. to take care of that.
 
Well - first note that it's a question you need to turn back on the questioner: how do I want it to be handled? Can I handle multiple responses, do I want just one and if so which one, or do I want an error?
 
Ibix said:
Well - first note that it's a question you need to turn back on the questioner: how do I want it to be handled? Can I handle multiple responses, do I want just one and if so which one, or do I want an error?
The idea, as I remember, was to show all records that qualify. So maybe we can use a "With Ties" here I would say. But need to double-check on this last.
 
Ibix said:
How does it handle the case where multiple states tie for maximum number of invoices?
Not sure, but in the AP Database , using tables Vendors, Invoices, this gave me the triplet
Ibix said:
Well - first note that it's a question you need to turn back on the questioner: how do I want it to be handled? Can I handle multiple responses, do I want just one and if so which one, or do I want an error?
Here is the general 1 with all that qualify (delete the 'Top 1 with Ties' to have just 1 value )

SELECT TOP 1 WITH TIES Count(InvoiceID) Most , VendorState
FROM Vendors V JOIN Invoices I
ON V.VendorID=I.VendorID
GROUP BY VendorState
ORDER BY Most ASC

I guess we could add conditions but I haven't. Seems way advanced to have anything else.

EDIT: Somewhere where I worked someone was shocked when they found out I was saving these , other tables (Using CREATE table, etc) , querying against them and then dropping them. Same as a CTE but I just hated CTEs.
 
And they accepted my method to delete duplicate although with a raised eyebrow:
Export to Excel, use Excel to delete, import back into SQL Server.
EDIT: But I am looking for one way to do it strictly within MSSMS.
I know how to find the duplicates, but working on a way of deleting them.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
And they accepted my method to delete duplicate although with a raised eyebrow:
Export to Excel, use Excel to delete, import back into SQL Server.
EDIT: But I am looking for one way to do it strictly within MSSMS.
I know how to find the duplicates, but working on a way of deleting them.
Today is crazy data day here! Google localized me in a town I only have been once more than 10 years ago and which is not around the corner. And facebook wants to know how I found Tampa International. @WWGD you aren't involved somehow?

And all flights between the two are 1 stop or 2 stop flights over Atlanta or JFK. Someone messed up the databases.
 
Me? No, I was in a confusing conversation myself.
" The Greeks were fighting machines"
"Why, if machines can't fight back?"
 
But maybe someone else SELECT(ED) you (Ha-Ha) in the wrong query.
 
WWGD said:
But maybe someone else SELECT(ED) you (Ha-Ha) in the wrong query.
Don't know how Google confused my city, but facebook only confused that I didn't watch the game in the Stadion.
 
fresh_42 said:
Don't know how Google confused my city, but facebook only confused that I didn't watch the game in the Stadion.
How does anyone know what you watched and where you watched it? Not sure I get what you're telling me.
 
My only possible connection to Tampa was that the Super Bowl was there, and I watched it live, although on tv. Guess facebook thinks this wasn't possible in Germany and concluded I must had been in Tampa.

Correction: was in Miami, not Tampa.
 
fresh_42 said:
My only possible connection to Tampa was that the Super Bowl was there, and I watched it live, although on tv. Guess facebook thinks this wasn't possible in Germany and concluded I must had been in Tampa.

Correction: was in Miami, not Tampa.
Ask Sugar Hill, only he may know.
 
WWGD said:
Ask Sugar Hill, only he may know.
I have a contact in Ft Lauderdale, watched the game in Miami, and fb asks me about Tampa. Gotta lock up which age I entered on fb ... all paths lead to FL.
 
Another strange post elsewhere:
Professor x. 10 years of teaching experience.
How do you teach experience?
Or:
Can Kafka be a database?
I doubt it, he's been dead for almost 100 years and likely has no idea what a database is. Maybe he can think of soneone slowly turning into a database?
 
WWGD said:
I know how to find the duplicates, but working on a way of deleting them.
Look up the ROW_NUMBER function.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
Kafka-esque.
It is an interesting name for a product. Not even sure what it is/does.
 
fresh_42 said:
Escort service?
Kafka escort? I though it was a database , dbms or related.
 
WWGD said:
It is an interesting name for a product. Not even sure what it is/does.
If I understand right, it's a tool for managing data that comes from multiple sources and goes to multiple sources in unpredictable bursts. LinkedIn apparently developed it - obviously their data comes in little messages from millions of users whenever they feel like posting something and publish it to your friends or whoever. Apparently it's designed to smooth out "bursty" data to be friendly to network traffic and disk operations. It's "optimised for writing", which is apparently a reference to Kafka the author - hence the name.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD