What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
skyshrimp said:
I saw a YouTube vid that showed an American diner serving medium rare hamburgers. I tried it myself at home and preferred it to well done.

If you were to have a bbq and serve a guest a medium rare burger, they'll reject it, thinking they'll get food poisoning.
I like them medium. Some even like tartare. Do you? For winter I don't consider cold food for the most part.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
skyshrimp said:
I don't like the thought of eating completely raw mince.


Yes, we as a species discovered fire and its benefits a while back. I am not going back into the caves unless ww3 happens and I make it.
 
fresh_42 said:
I'm pleasantly surprised that a hardware store here has an ad with Ai Weiwei.
It is the Weiwei weight factor.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
It is the Weiwei weight factor.
Weiwei's way way out of my league because of the Weiwei weight factor.
 
New way of guaranteeing a place in the subway with space : cough, cough (whisper) Corona, cough , cough.
 
WWGD said:
New way of guaranteeing a place in the subway with space : cough, cough (whisper) Corona, cough , cough.
Lol, I actually made this once, waiting at a traffic light as pedestrian: "Cough, cough, f*** SARS!" Somebody next to me actually jumped away.
 
fresh_42 said:
Lol, I actually made this once, waiting at a traffic light as pedestrian: "Cough, cough, f*** SARS!" Somebody next to me actually jumped away.
Though it may backfire andlead to the medics jumping on us and putting us in quarantine for a long time.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
Though it may backfire andlead to the medics jumping on us and putting us in quarantine for a long time.
Two weeks, all inclusive. Why not?
 
fresh_42 said:
Two weeks, all inclusive. Why not?
Two weeks? How so? Wont they wait until the epidemic is over?
 
WWGD said:
Two weeks? How so? Wont they wait until the epidemic is over?
Those who were flown out had to stay 2 weeks - incarnation time. However, they kept them in a military base.
 
fresh_42 said:
Those who were flown out had to stay 2 weeks - incarnation time. However, they kept them in a military base.
Maybe you must be in the right country when this happens. May not be that much fun in others.
 
If one is thrown into quarantine along with other suspected cases, the faked cough could turn real.
 
Also, I attended basic training at Lackland AFB. Ugh!
 
20-2-2020 or , in other countries 2-20-2020 coming in a few days.
 
fresh_42 said:
Those who were flown out had to stay 2 weeks - incarnation time. However, they kept them in a military base.

Incarnation time :-) Do you come back as someone else?

Cheers
 
cosmik debris said:
Incarnation time :-) Do you come back as someone else?

Cheers
Oh yeah, I knew it sounded strange. Incubation period, of course.
 
cosmik debris said:
Incarnation time :-) Do you come back as someone else?

Cheers
Incarnation everyone must drive.
 
WWGD said:
Incarnation everyone must drive.
I thought in Carnation was where Cleopatra spent most of her time.
 
Words that are confused often: lose and loose . The product " loose skin solution" would become "lose skin solution", an unusual product.
 
fresh_42 said:
To write english is a pain. I like Shaw's example: How do you pronounce "ghot"?
That was the 'fish' thing, right?
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes. No wonder you have spelling competitions. All others spell what they hear.
But I do wonder why so many of the winners are Indian ( meaning from India) or 2nd gen India. Maybe from having to learn to pronounce those 15-letter+ names and last names.
 
WWGD said:
But I do wonder why so many of the winners are Indian ( meaning from India) or 2nd gen India. Maybe from having to learn to pronounce those 15-letter+ names and last names.
Guess there are several reasons for it. E.g. minorities often stress learning and competitions a lot more than members of the majority. And the Indian culture of science is about 5,000 years old, which is funny for people with such a complex variety of gods. It seems there is more than one society which proudly pampers its contradictions.
 
WWGD said:
But I do wonder why so many of the winners are Indian ( meaning from India) or 2nd gen India. Maybe from having to learn to pronounce those 15-letter+ names and last names.

A labmate from India once told me that India has a huge number of different languages and some people (for example him) are able to pick up different languages rapidly and easily. This was useful for interacting with other groups of people.
Not clear if this is a culturally learned capacity or that a genetically endowed ability that might have be adaptive was selected for due to its increased communication abilities.
In either case, such abilities might explain good spelling abilities.
 
I hope that ability to spell is part of a larger package because it seems like a waste to devote talent only to spell words.
 
UN report ( can't find the link) claims the world can sustain more than 1 trillion people. I think they assume massive buildup of high-rises but some land just cannot support it and would collapse/implode. It would require such massive rethinking and engineering that its not likely possible for 100s of years from now.
 
If you have a 24hr cancellation policy: why do you allow #$@ next-day appointments?