What is the normal force on a block at the top of a loop?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AionTelos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Loop Magnitude
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
AionTelos
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A block of mass m = 1.8 kg starts at rest on a rough inclined plane a height H = 8m above the ground. It slides down the plane, across a frictionless horizontal floor, and then around a frictionless loop the loop of radius R = 2.0 m. On the floor the speed of the block is observed to be 11 m/s.

What is the magnitude of the normal force exerted on the block at the top of the loop?

Homework Equations


(Flipping the y axis)
[tex]N + mg = \frac{mv^2}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]N = \frac{mv^2}{R} - mg[/tex]
[tex]N = \frac{(1.8kg)(11m/s)^2}{2m} - (1.8kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 91.26N[/tex]

The solution says it's 20.7N, I'm not sure where I'm messing up. Though, I feel that maybe I should be using PE=KE?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it, I'm using the velocity at the bottom of the loop instead of at the top, will post the correct solution once I get it.
 
For anyone else wondering here was the solution I came too.
[tex]KE_i = PE_f + KE_f[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_i^2 = mgh + \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2[/tex]
h = -2R
[tex]v_i^2-4gR = v_f^2[/tex]
[tex]N+mg=\frac{mv^2}{R}[/tex]
[tex]N=\frac{m(v_i^2+4gR)}{R}-mg[/tex]
m=1.8kg
v_i=11[itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex]
g=9.8[itex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/itex]
R=2m
[tex]N=\frac{1.8((11)^2-4(9.8)(2))}{(2)}-(1.8)(9.8)[/tex]

Phew, everything check out?