What is the notation for the distance between two position vectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation and equation for calculating the distance between two 3-dimensional position vectors. The equation given is r = SQRT((s1-v1)^2 + (s2-v2)^2+(s3-v3)^2) and it is suggested that the equation r = ||(s-v)|| can also be used, with ||x|| representing the modulus function. The need for defining the metric used in the equation is also mentioned, with various possibilities such as Euclidean and others.
CraigH
If I have two 3 dimensional position vectors:

s
and
v

What is the notation for the distance between them?

I know to calculate the distance I would use:

r = SQRT ( (s1-v1)^2 + (s2-v2)^2 + (s3-v3)^2 )
where s1 is the first element in the position vector s etc.

What is an equation that represents this? Can I use the equation:

r= ||( s - v )||

where ||x|| is the modulus function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure.

||x|| is symbol used for the norm (modulus) of x. It has to be defined. Usually the Euclidean metric is used, but others may be used.

mathman said:
It has to be defined. Usually the Euclidean metric is used, but others may be used.

Hi mathman,
Thanks for the answer. What do you mean when you say it has to be defined?

Let v = (x,y,z)

Definition 1: ||v|| = (x2 + y2 + z2)1/2
Definition 2: ||v|| = |x| + |y| + |z|
Definition 3: ||v|| = max(|x|,|y|,|z|)

There are endless possibilities, such as using nth power with nth root, analogous to Euclidean.

1. What is the notation for the distance between two position vectors?

The notation for the distance between two position vectors is ||AB||, where A and B are the two vectors.

2. How is the distance between two position vectors calculated?

The distance between two position vectors is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. The length of the vector between the two points is found and then squared to find the distance.

3. Can the distance between two position vectors be negative?

No, the distance between two position vectors cannot be negative as distance is a positive quantity. However, the direction of the vector can be negative.

4. Is there a difference between vector distance and scalar distance?

Yes, there is a difference between vector distance and scalar distance. Vector distance takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the displacement between two points, while scalar distance only considers the magnitude.

5. How is the distance between two position vectors represented graphically?

The distance between two position vectors is represented graphically as the length of the straight line connecting the two points on a coordinate plane. The magnitude of the vector is represented by the length of the line and the direction is represented by the direction of the line.