Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the opposite action to velocity

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    To every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction. This is Newton's third law. What is the opposite reaction of the conversion of kinetic energy to momentum. Don't say stasis because motion is greatly linked to time. If time freezes, it isn't the opposite of it moving forward bot. Ore it being neutral and not moving in a direction at all.
    Again, not past my junior years in high school. Please don't judge me. I haven't taken physics a s a course yet

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2015 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Newton's third law refers to forces. For every "action" force from object A to object B there is an equal and opposite "reaction" force from object B to object A.

It doesn't have anything directly to do with any of the rest of the things that you mentioned.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You're trying to apply newton's laws where they don't apply. The third law can be stated more accurately as: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

This refers specifically to a force, not to a 'reaction'. You can't use the third law unless you are specifically talking about the forces that two bodies exert on each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook