What is the opposite of a field theory?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
resurgance2001
Messages
197
Reaction score
9
Hi

I understand that Maxwell's equations, and General Relativity are both field theories. I am trying to understand what the opposite of a field theory is, or what is not a field theory. For example, am I correct in believing that Newton's Laws are not a field theory? Is that is true then what type of theory is represented by Newton's Laws?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you describe your quantities as a field, then they obey a field equation... otherwise not.
As you said, particles described in Newton equations are not treated as fields (extended over a region of space) but as points.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: resurgance2001
So what would you call this type of theory in general? Would it be a particle theory or an 'action at a distance theory?' Is there a general name for theories which are not field theories? Thanks
 
I would call it point-particle theory...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: resurgance2001