1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the opposite of epsilon

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    Is there a notation for the opposite of epsilon (infinitesimal) in the way that infinity is the opposite of zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is a definitive term, I've seen people use these terms:
    - immeasureable
    - infinite

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

For every ##\varepsilon >0## ''very small'' you have ##\varepsilon^{-1}=\frac{1}{\varepsilon}## is ''very big'', in general there is no a preferred symbol to denote this ...

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Usually, people like to use capital letters for this, such as ##H## or ##N##.

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

What does the H or N stand for?

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Perhaps ##N## for number such as ##N(ε)##. I've also seen ##C## for a constant. But I've never seen a huge ##H##.

8. Jun 10, 2016 #7
    "The nightmare of mathematician is a sequence ##\varepsilon_n## that tends to infinity, as ##n \to 0##"
    Paul Halmos

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8
    The opposite of infinity is not zero, it's ##\varepsilon##.
    Source : This Numberphile video

Depends how you define "opposite". If you mean additive inverse, then ##-\infty## would be the opposite of ##\infty##, and ##-\varepsilon## for ##\varepsilon##. If by "opposite" you mean multiplicative inverse, then the opposite of ##\varepsilon## would be ##\infty##. Zero, on the other hand doesn't have a multiplicative inverse, so maybe we can say it doesn't have an opposite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted