Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the opposite of epsilon

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    Is there a notation for the opposite of epsilon (infinitesimal) in the way that infinity is the opposite of zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I don't think there is a definitive term, I've seen people use these terms:
    - immeasureable
    - infinite

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

For every ##\varepsilon >0## ''very small'' you have ##\varepsilon^{-1}=\frac{1}{\varepsilon}## is ''very big'', in general there is no a preferred symbol to denote this ...

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Usually, people like to use capital letters for this, such as ##H## or ##N##.

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

What does the H or N stand for?

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6

fresh_42

Perhaps ##N## for number such as ##N(ε)##. I've also seen ##C## for a constant. But I've never seen a huge ##H##.

8. Jun 10, 2016 #7
    "The nightmare of mathematician is a sequence ##\varepsilon_n## that tends to infinity, as ##n \to 0##"
    Paul Halmos

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8
    The opposite of infinity is not zero, it's ##\varepsilon##.
    Source : This Numberphile video

Depends how you define "opposite". If you mean additive inverse, then ##-\infty## would be the opposite of ##\infty##, and ##-\varepsilon## for ##\varepsilon##. If by "opposite" you mean multiplicative inverse, then the opposite of ##\varepsilon## would be ##\infty##. Zero, on the other hand doesn't have a multiplicative inverse, so maybe we can say it doesn't have an opposite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted