1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying What is the order to learn physics?

1. Jun 7, 2017 #1
    Hey guy!
    I just want to know what order of physics i should learn to understand all of them.
    So pleas help me!
    Thanks you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

To learn "all of them", which is pretty ambitious and could trigger a long debate on whether this is possible at all, you probably have to learn fundamental mathematical techniques in parallel. This is because physics is written in the language of mathematics. Therefore to learn physics is a bit like learning two new languages, since ordinary words become new and precise meanings in both languages: physics and mathematics.

But let as assume that you really want to follow that colorful and wonderful route. Then all what can be learnt at school should be learnt. It is the foundation. Not always the last word of it, as you will experience on your journey, but a good start. This means physics usually start with classical mechanics, Newton's and Galileo's world, and the notion of frames and conservative forces. Along with it are calculus and linear algebra on the mathematical side of the coin. Then come some already a bit specialized fields like electrodynamics, thermodynamics and maybe special relativity and quantum mechanics. This means a bit theory of differential equations, probability theory, complex and multivariate calculus and a bit topology on the mathematical part. From here on the fields get split more and more into certain specialized parts: general relativity, condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, quantum field theory and all those which I have forgotten here to mention. On the mathematical side, you will have to learn less and less, as you do not need to specialize there or (in general) learn things like number theory or game theory. However, some parts will still add to your list: Lie theory, representation theory of groups and algebras, multilinear algebra and differential geometry.

This might look like a long journey already. Well, it is. And if you are really willing to take this adventure, there will be no end. Regardless how much you will have learnt some day, there always will be more to learn. This may make it appear like an unreachable goal, but you will recognize, that it is in fact the most exciting part of it! So whatever you do: Stay curious!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted