Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the origin of C,P and CP violations?

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    The C and P symmetry violations are deduced from the separating the right-handed representation from left-handed representation in electroweak model(Weinberg theory).Then I do not understand why we can consider the left-handed fermions living in a representation separating with that of right-handed fermions if it is not because of neglecting the mass of fermions in weak interaction(can we neglecting the mass?)?

The CP symmetry violation is deduced from the mixing three quark generations.Then I do not understand what allows the mixing of the three quarks?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

AFAIK, mass is not neglected. The point is that electroweak interaction only couples to electrons and neutrinos of one handedness. If the particles are massive, Then the energy eigenstates are 50-50 superpositions of chiral eigenstates but the particles produced in weak interaction aren't energy eigenstates.

4. Oct 26, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The mass eigenstates are different from the flavor eigenstates. If a specific flavor eigenstate is produced, it is a superposition of the mass eigenstates, and their relative phases change with time, giving components of other quarks.
    Alternatively, you can describe mixing as the exchange of (2) virtual W bosons.

5. Oct 26, 2012 #4
    Why do you have to say their relative phase must be changed ''in time''?

Please elaborate the explaining the mixing caused by exchange (2) virtue W.Is it correct if I think that one generation of quarks can transforms to other generation of quarks by exchange virtue W bosons?Then we can(?) consider different flavor quarks can ''combine with each other''.Then what is the condition for applying superposition principle?

6. Oct 26, 2012 #5
    What suggests us about in electroweak interaction the fermions couple with only one handedness?

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

There was a classic experiment by Wu who observed polarisation in beta decay.

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7
    Then what is the first theoretical idea about the handedness asymmetry?(I mean the motivate idea for the experiment)?

9. Oct 27, 2012 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

10. Oct 27, 2012 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook