What is the parallel-component of the weight

• Thread starter Jess048
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the parallel-component of the weight refers to the component of an object's weight that acts in the same direction as a given reference axis or plane. It is important to calculate this component in order to understand the forces acting on an object and to accurately calculate its net force and acceleration. The magnitude of the parallel-component is affected by the angle between the weight vector and the reference axis, and it can never be greater than the total weight of the object.
Jess048
A 50 kg trunk rest on a ramp at 18 degrees. What is the parallel-component of the weight?
a. 15.5 N
b. 47.6 N
c. 151 N
d. 466 N

So far I got:
I used the formula Fgx = W sin 0.

Fgx= -(490 N) sin(18)
My answer was 368, as you see it is not one of the choices. Am i leaving out a step or am I not finished with the problem. Can someone clarify please thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are computing the sine of 18 radians, not 18 degrees.

Oh ok so the answer would be C

What is the parallel-component of the weight?

The parallel-component of the weight refers to the component of an object's weight that acts in the same direction as a given reference axis or plane. It is often denoted as W|| and is calculated by multiplying the total weight of the object by the cosine of the angle between the weight vector and the reference axis or plane.

How is the parallel-component of the weight different from the perpendicular-component?

While the parallel-component of the weight acts in the same direction as the reference axis or plane, the perpendicular-component acts in a direction perpendicular to it. The perpendicular-component is often denoted as W and is calculated by multiplying the total weight of the object by the sine of the angle between the weight vector and the reference axis or plane.

Why is it important to calculate the parallel-component of the weight?

Calculating the parallel-component of the weight is important in order to understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. It also allows for the accurate calculation of the net force on an object, which is essential in determining its acceleration.

How does the angle between the weight vector and the reference axis affect the parallel-component of the weight?

The angle between the weight vector and the reference axis has a direct impact on the magnitude of the parallel-component of the weight. As the angle increases, the parallel-component decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the trigonometric function cosine.

Can the parallel-component of the weight ever be greater than the total weight of the object?

No, the parallel-component of the weight cannot be greater than the total weight of the object. This is because the parallel-component is always the product of the total weight and the cosine of the angle, and the cosine of an angle can never be greater than 1. In fact, the parallel-component can only be equal to or less than the total weight of the object.