What is the partial pressure of the NH3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
DallasMavs
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The combined pressure of 32.0 g of CH4, 64.2 g NH3, and 100 g of CO2 is 9.42 atm. What is the partial pressure of the NH3



Homework Equations


Dalton's Law of Partial Pressure = P=Pa +Pb + Pc ...
The individual partial pressure follow the ideal gas law. For component A, (Pa)V=(nA)RT where nA is the number of oles in component A

The Attempt at a Solution


I have converted all the grams to moles by dividing the grams by the compounds molar mass. I have no idea what to do from there. Someone please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Partial pressure of any gas is its molefraction * total pressure.
so, for your problem it is

[itex]\frac{n_{NH_3}}{n_{total}}.(9.42)[/itex]
 
So, I would take the moles of NH3 and divide that by the total number of moles (moles of NH3, CH4, and CO2). Than multiply that by the total pressure. Is that correct?
 
DallasMavs said:
So, I would take the moles of NH3 and divide that by the total number of moles (moles of NH3, CH4, and CO2). Than multiply that by the total pressure. Is that correct?
yes that's it