Measurning the partial pressure of a component of a solution in equilibrium

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Bipolarity
Messages
773
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Suppose I have two substances in a solution, each forming an equilibrium with its corresponding vapor phase, and thus having its own partial pressure. How can I measure this partial pressure of one of the components, given the pressure of each component in its pure form.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Using Henry's Law and assuming ideality, I know that the partial pressure of a component in the solution equals the product of the vapor pressure in the pure form multiplied by the mole fraction of the component in the solution.

So I ultimately need some way of measuring the mole fraction of the component in the solution. How can I do this? What apparatus might I need? I assume I have distillation columns, condensers, thermometers, etc. but exactly how do I proceed?

BiP
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Raoult's Law? (If you know their amounts present in the mixture)
 
You want to measure or to calculate? Because what you wrote doesn't sound clear.
 
I think he stated the Raoult's Law and he stated Henry's Law. So, in order to "calculate" the vapor pressures, he requires to measure the mole fraction.

For that purpose, different techniques can be used. If you are assuming ideality (good enough for benzene toluene mixture), fractional distillation will do.