What Is the Percent Yield from Aluminum to Potassium Alum?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Lili123
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
Here is the question: If 75.0 g of potassium alum is obtained from 5.00 g of aluminum, what is the percent yield?

This is what I've done so far, but I'm not sure if it is fully correct:
5.00g Al x (1/26.98156) x (1/1) x 258.207 = 47.84882537g potassium alum

Wouldn't this then be the theoretical yield? But then that wouldn't work because the actual yield of 75.0g is much greater... is there something I did wrong here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lili123 said:
5.00g Al x (1/26.98156) x (1/1) x 258.207 = 47.84882537g potassium alum

And you expect us to guess what these numbers mean?

Please start by writing the reaction equation. What is the formula of the alum? Hint: it is not just KAl(SO4)2.
 
Another hint: You've been given a three significant figure problem. Piling on significant figures is neither useful nor impressive.
 
Last edited: