1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the period of oscillation?

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    A mass of 361 grams is hung from the bottom of a vertical spring and the spring stretches 64.3 cm. The hanging mass is removed, and the spring is placed horizontally on a frictionless table. One end of the spring is held fixed and the other end is attached to a 649 gm mass. The 649 gm mass is then pulled to a distance of 64.3 cm and released from rest. What is the period of oscillation of this mass/spring system?

Just starting these types of SHM problems. How do I go about solving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

(Does this one belong in the homework forums?)

You have enough information here to calculate the spring constant of the spring; and once you know the spring constant you can calculate the period of oscillation on frictionless horizontal table for any given mass.

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    Sorry, and thanks for your help. How do I solve for the spring constant?

5. Jul 3, 2012 #4
    You know both the force applied to the spring from the hanging mass as well as the extension.

6. Jul 3, 2012 #5
    Ok, so I get k = 5.50 from F = kx

Then use T = 2pi*sqrt(m/k)

What is gm as a unit of mass?

7. Jul 3, 2012 #6
    Fairly sure it means gram.

8. Jul 3, 2012 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is really very simple, please read your text.

9. Jul 3, 2012 #8
    So by using T = 2pi * sqrt(m / k) where m = 0.649kg and k = 5.5, I get T = 2.15

Look good? Thanks so much for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook