What is the pH when 200 mL 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pH of a solution when 200 mL of 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL of water. The individual is unsure of how NaOH reacts with water and whether or not they should use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. They also question how adding water would affect the pH and the concentration of the solution. The conversation ends with a request for help determining the OH ion concentration and the pH of the final solution.
kal854

I am stuck here. I know V1C1 = V2C2 but I need help at this point. I don't know how NaOH reacts with water, and how this would affect the pH of the final solution. I also don't know whether or not I should use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Thank you in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is pH of the 0.1 M NaOH?

kal854 said:

I am stuck here. I know V1C1 = V2C2 but I need help at this point. I don't know how NaOH reacts with water, and how this would affect the pH of the final solution. I also don't know whether or not I should use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Thank you in advance for your help!

What reaction? 0.1M NaOH is a sodium hydroxide solution. It's already mixed with some water. What happens to the concentration of a solution when you add more water?

What is the OH ion concentration after you add the 300 ml of water? What is the product of the OH ion concentration and the H ion concentration? What is the H ion concentration. What is the pH?

Thank you all!

The pH of the resulting solution cannot be determined without knowing the initial pH of the water and the concentration of any other substances present.

How does the concentration of NaOH affect the resulting pH?

The concentration of NaOH can affect the resulting pH, as it is a strong base and will increase the pH of the solution when added.

What is the difference between pH and concentration?

pH measures the acidity or basicity of a solution, while concentration measures the amount of a substance dissolved in a solution. They are related, but not interchangeable.

How does adding water affect the pH of a solution?

Adding water to a solution can dilute the concentration of any substances present, which can affect the pH. However, if the initial pH of the water is known, the resulting pH can be calculated using the dilution formula.

What other factors can affect the resulting pH of a solution?

Other factors that can affect the resulting pH of a solution include the presence of other acidic or basic substances, the temperature of the solution, and the strength of the acid or base being added.