What is the pH when 200 mL 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kal854
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mixed Ph Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
kal854
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
What is the pH when 200 mL 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL water?

I am stuck here. I know V1C1 = V2C2 but I need help at this point. I don't know how NaOH reacts with water, and how this would affect the pH of the final solution. I also don't know whether or not I should use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Thank you in advance for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kal854 said:
What is the pH when 200 mL 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL water?

I am stuck here. I know V1C1 = V2C2 but I need help at this point. I don't know how NaOH reacts with water, and how this would affect the pH of the final solution. I also don't know whether or not I should use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Thank you in advance for your help!

What reaction? 0.1M NaOH is a sodium hydroxide solution. It's already mixed with some water. What happens to the concentration of a solution when you add more water?
 
What is the OH ion concentration after you add the 300 ml of water? What is the product of the OH ion concentration and the H ion concentration? What is the H ion concentration. What is the pH?