1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the pH when 200 mL 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL water?

1. Jan 23, 2014 #1
    What is the pH when 200 mL 0.1 M NaOH is mixed with 300 mL water?

I am stuck here. I know V1C1 = V2C2 but I need help at this point. I don't know how NaOH reacts with water, and how this would affect the pH of the final solution. I also don't know whether or not I should use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Thank you in advance for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is pH of the 0.1 M NaOH?

4. Jan 23, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What reaction? 0.1M NaOH is a sodium hydroxide solution. It's already mixed with some water. What happens to the concentration of a solution when you add more water?

5. Jan 23, 2014 #4
    What is the OH ion concentration after you add the 300 ml of water? What is the product of the OH ion concentration and the H ion concentration? What is the H ion concentration. What is the pH?

6. Jan 23, 2014 #5
    Thank you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted