What is the physical meaning of [H,ρ ]=0 for a stationary state?

• Thread starter jiadong
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

If ρ is the desity operator of a ensemble.
We get (ih/2π) ∂ρ/∂ t = [H,ρ ].
for a stationary state [H,ρ ]=0 . So H and ρ can share the same eigenvectors. Can someone explain what does this mean?
:smile:

Answers and Replies

let suppose you have of H:

[itex]\hat{H}|E_i\rangle=E_{H,i}|E_i\rangle[/itex]

If you can diagonalize H and rho together
there is no reason to think that the set of [itex]|E_i\rangle[/itex] that can be diagonalized at the same time with H are ALL the [itex]|E_i\rangle[/itex] that are diagonal for [itex]\hat{H}[/itex]. in general the eigenstates in common is a subset of the eigenstates of H.
But let consider only the sub set of eigenstates of H that are also eigenstates of rho, you have

[itex]\hat{\rho}|E_i\rangle=E_{p,i}|E_i\rangle[/itex]

and so you can write rho as

[itex]\hat{\rho}=\Sigma_i \lambda_i |E_i\rangle\langle E_i|[/itex]

that is the representation of your rho in the eigenstates of hamiltonian.

kith
Science Advisor
The density matrix being diagonal corresponds to a completely incoherent mixture. So the eigenvectors of the density matrix are the constituents of this mixture.

let suppose you have of H:

[itex]\hat{H}|E_i\rangle=E_{H,i}|E_i\rangle[/itex]

If you can diagonalize H and rho together
there is no reason to think that the set of [itex]|E_i\rangle[/itex] that can be diagonalized at the same time with H are ALL the [itex]|E_i\rangle[/itex] that are diagonal for [itex]\hat{H}[/itex]. in general the eigenstates in common is a subset of the eigenstates of H.
But let consider only the sub set of eigenstates of H that are also eigenstates of rho, you have

[itex]\hat{\rho}|E_i\rangle=E_{p,i}|E_i\rangle[/itex]

and so you can write rho as

that is the representation of your rho in the eigenstates of hamiltonian.
But the expression
is of the same form to the defination of desity operator in a mixture state. I still don't know the specail characteristics of thie kind of rho. I am sorry, I am so stupid to understand the physical mean of [H, ρ ]=0.
Thank you for your reply.

The density matrix being diagonal corresponds to a completely incoherent mixture. So the eigenvectors of the density matrix are the constituents of this mixture.
Thank you, Kith! You mean that if [H,ρ]=0,thenthe eigenvectors of the ρ are the constituents of a incoherent mixture.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The complete equation of motion for the Statistical Operator is the von Neumann equation,

[tex]\left (\frac{\partial \hat{\rho}}{\partial t} \right )_{\text{exp}} + \frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} [\hat{\rho},\hat{H}]=0.[/tex]

Since a stationary state is defined as one for which the Statistical Operator is not explicitly dependent on time, for this case you arrive at the simplified equation

[tex][\hat{\rho},\hat{H}]=0.[/tex]

This means that for a stationary (or equilibrium) state, the Statistical Operator of the system must be a function of the conserved quantities and not explicitly dependent on time.

The complete equation of motion for the Statistical Operator is the von Neumann equation,

[tex]\left (\frac{\partial \hat{\rho}}{\partial t} \right )_{\text{exp}} + \frac{1}{\mathrm{i} \hbar} [\hat{\rho},\hat{H}]=0.[/tex]

Since a stationary state is defined as one for which the Statistical Operator is not explicitly dependent on time, for this case you arrive at the simplified equation

[tex][\hat{\rho},\hat{H}]=0.[/tex]

This means that for a stationary (or equilibrium) state, the Statistical Operator of the system must be a function of the conserved quantities and not explicitly dependent on time.
Now I see, the equation
plays similar role in quantum statistical mechanics as the Liuville's Equation does in Statistical mechanics.