What is the probability of drawing the same numbers in a lottery multiple times?

• Thread starter erotavlas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary: This is because the previous flips have "specified in advance" the outcome that you are now seeking.In summary, the probability of flipping ten tails in a row is 512:1 if you specify in advance that you wish to flip ten tails in a row.
erotavlas
This is a question relating to lotteries. Bascially everyone says that each draw is totally independant of each other. So the probability of generating a sequence of numbers each time is the same no matter what the numbers are. However for two draws, there must be a way to calculate the probability that the same set of numbers would be drawn a second, third, fourth... time. This event would be extremely unlikely yet still could occur.
Is ther a value we can give to these unlikely occurences?

Physics news on Phys.org

Let P be the probability that a set is drawn. Then the probability that, if a set is drawn, it is repeated on the next draw is P. On the next two draws it is P2, etc.

Thanks
So then why is it each draw is considered independant of each other, if say the next draw probability P is dependant on not having the exact same numbers as the previous draw (since otherwise it would be P2

erotavlas said:
Thanks
So then why is it each draw is considered independant of each other, if say the next draw probability P is dependant on not having the exact same numbers as the previous draw (since otherwise it would be P2

Please clarify your question.

I guess I'm referring to dependant vs independant events. If it is claimed that lottery draws are independant of each other (i.e. one draw has no influence on the outcome of the next draw) However doesn't this contradict with the change in probability for two consecutive draws where the event is identical?

Say I play the same lottery numbers every week. The probability that they draw my numbers is P. I continue to play my numbers the following week but the probablity that they draw my numbers on the next draw doesn't remain P, doesn't it change to P2 as was stated in the previous response? If so wouldn't that mean there is some dependence on the previous draw (because the probability changed)?

erotavlas said:
...doesn't it change to P2 as was stated in the previous response?

I don't see where he said that anywhere. He said that the probability of a specific sequence being repeated on the next two trials is P2, which is true.

The odds of drawing number x is p. The odds of drawing it twice is P squared but only if this is specified in advance.

If you draw x then the probability of drawing x the second time is p.

Number Nine said:
I don't see where he said that anywhere. He said that the probability of a specific sequence being repeated on the next two trials is P2, which is true.

Is this correct?

1st attempt => draw numbers N = probability P
2nd attempt => draw same numbers N = probability P
3rd attempt => draw same numbers N = probabiloty P2
4th attempt => draw same numbers N = probability ?

Antiphon said:
The odds of drawing number x is p. The odds of drawing it twice is P squared but only if this is specified in advance..

What does this mean, specified in advance?

Is this correct?

1st attempt => draw numbers N = probability P
2nd attempt => draw same numbers N = probability P
3rd attempt => draw same numbers N = probabiloty P2
4th attempt => draw same numbers N = probability ?

No. The probability is P at every step.

Number Nine said:
No. The probability is P at every step.

So then what was P2?
I'm really confused now.

anytime you draw, the probability of getting x is P, but the probability of getting x twice is P2 This -requires- looking at two draws, not just one. P is for one draw, anyone draw, but not TWO draws. methinks. Perhaps it is three...I would have thought two. Clarification there? But certainly more than one! And that is what changes the probability, the number of draws you are looking at

Let's use coins. The probability of flipping tails is 0.5 every time regardless of the history of the prior flips.

But if you specify in advance that you wish to flip 10 tails in a row, the probability of that entire sequence of flips is 1/2^10, about 1024:1.

Once you have reached the ninth toss and it has come up tails, then the probability of flipping the tenth tail is 0.5 even though your odds of getting to the ninth flip were 512:1.

Related to What is the probability of drawing the same numbers in a lottery multiple times?

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that a specific event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations.

4. Can the same number be generated from a random draw more than once?

Yes, it is possible for the same number to be generated from a random draw more than once. Each draw is independent and has the same probability of occurring, so it is possible for the same number to be generated multiple times.

5. How does the sample size affect the probability of generating the same number(s) from random draw?

The larger the sample size, the more likely it is to generate the same number(s) from a random draw. As the sample size increases, the probability of obtaining a certain outcome becomes more accurate.