What Is the Probability of Scoring in the 88th Percentile for a Trait as a Male?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of the probability of scoring in the 88th percentile in a certain personality trait given that the individual is male. The challenge lies in incorporating both binary (male vs female) and continuous (percentile) probabilities. It is suggested to use Bayes theorem to calculate the probability.
James Brady
I scored in the 88th percentile in a certain personality trait and am trying to figure out the probability of that given that I'm male. I'm trying the likelihood that I would land in the 88th percentile given that I'm male.

Definitions: T = trait, M = males, F = female.
Given:
P(T|M) = 0.3
P(T|F) = 0.6

I'm actually having trouble formulating this in mathematical terms even. I'm not sure where the 0.88 comes into play.

Physics news on Phys.org
P(T) doesn't make sense for a continuous trait, and percentiles don't make sense for a binary trait.

So it looks like I'm having to mix binary (male vs female) and continuous (percentile) probabilities and I'm not sure where to starts.

The male vs female part is not problematic. It is P(T) that is problematic. Let's say that T is IQ. Then it makes sense to say "I scored in the 88th percentile on IQ", meaning that IQ is a continuous trait and yours is larger than 88% of the population.

But what doesn't make sense is P(IQ). Everybody has an IQ, it isn't a probabilistic thing. What is probabilistic is the score. So you might say P(IQ>100), but you would never say P(IQ)

Oh... So I would formulate it as P(IQ>0.88|M)?

0.88 is not a realistic IQ value.
You can ask for P(IQ>yourIQ|M) but that's what you want to get, not what you have given.
James Brady said:
Given:
P(T|M) = 0.3
P(T|F) = 0.6
Where does that come from?

@mfb That's completely made up. I'm just trying to get a grasp on how to work with the numbers.

Ideally you have the full distribution for males and females, or at least some way to estimate that. Otherwise it will be a lot of guesswork.

James Brady said:
That is close. You can have the probability of one event given another event. That would be like P( In88Percentile | M ). If you know the fraction of males in the 88th percentile, that is the answer.

James Brady said:
Pretty close. If x is IQ for the 88th percentile then you would write it as P(IQ>x|M).

So, for convenience (I am on a mobile device) let's say X is "a person has a score for T which is in the 88th percentile or higher". Then your question is to find P(X|M). The way to do that is with Bayes theorem:

P(X|M) = P(M|X) P(X)/P(M)

Can you work it out from there?

Related to What Is the Probability of Scoring in the 88th Percentile for a Trait as a Male?

What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of rolling a 3 would be 1/6, since there is only one way to roll a 3 out of six possible outcomes.

What is a percentile?

A percentile is a measure used in statistics to indicate the value below which a given percentage of observations in a group of observations falls. For example, if you score in the 75th percentile on a test, it means that 75% of the test scores were equal to or below yours.

How is a percentile calculated?

A percentile is calculated by first arranging all the observations in order from smallest to largest. Then, the percentile is found by multiplying the total number of observations by the desired percentage and rounding up to the nearest whole number. The resulting number corresponds to the position of the observation in the ordered list.

What is the relationship between probability and percentiles?

The relationship between probability and percentiles is that both measures represent the likelihood of an event occurring. While probability is a measure of the likelihood of a single event, percentiles represent the likelihood of an observation falling below a certain value in a group of observations. In some cases, percentiles can be calculated using probability values and vice versa.