What is the probability that candidate A wins the election?

• Thread starter Inertialforce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: In this analogy, the number 5 is the number of bags and each bag has a marble in it. So when you add up the number of bags and the number of marbles, you get the number 5. This is a very visual way of thinking about probablities.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

In an election there are three candidates. Candidate A is twice as likely to win than candidate B and candidate B is twice as likely to win than candidate C.

Note: The answer is 4/7

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone explain to me why the answer is 4/7 I don't really understand why it is the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

Inertialforce said:

Homework Statement

In an election there are three candidates. Candidate A is twice as likely to win than candidate B and candidate B is twice as likely to win than candidate C.

Could someone explain to me why the answer is 4/7 I don't really understand why it is the answer?

First write out all the givens, then realize that P(A) + P(B) + P(C) = 1

Inertialforce said:

Homework Statement

A = 2B
B = 2C
C = 1 - (A + B)

Can you take it from here?

k

say that C =5
Then B=

Last edited:

Although giving a solution helps some, the socratic method helps more I believe. Ask guiding questions, then see their response instead of just solving the problem. Just my .02

alennix21 said:
say that C =5
Then B=

You can't say that "C= 5", C is a person, not a number.

(If you were to use C to mean the probability that candidate C wins, it still can't be 5: a probability must be between 0 and 1.)

alennix21 said:
say that C =5
Then B=
That's not quite the correct approach. Instead, denote a particular candidate probability of winning as P, and note that one of them will definitely win the election. So that means that the individual probabilities of candidates A,B,C must sum to 1. The statement of the problem let's you relate the individual probabilities of the other two candidates to the designated one whom has probability P of winning.

A=2B
B=2C

The probability equals: [tex]\frac{one event}{the whole number of events}[/tex]

So it should be [tex]\frac{A}{A+B+C}[/tex]

B=A/2
C=B/2 or C=A/4

Here is the result:

[tex]\frac{A}{A+A/2+A/4}[/tex]

Can you continue from now on?

Regards.

I was thinking; to say C=5 then B=
is a concrete way of seeing the problem as a bag of marbles probelm.

1. What factors influence the probability that candidate A will win the election?

The probability of a candidate winning an election is influenced by a variety of factors, including their campaign strategy, public opinion polls, fundraising efforts, and overall political climate.

2. How accurate are probability predictions for election outcomes?

Probability predictions for election outcomes are based on statistical analysis and can vary in accuracy. Factors such as unexpected events or shifts in public opinion can impact the accuracy of these predictions.

3. Can probability alone determine the winner of an election?

No, probability alone cannot determine the winner of an election. It is just one factor to consider among others, such as voter turnout, campaign strategies, and current events.

4. How is probability calculated for election outcomes?

Probability for election outcomes is calculated by analyzing historical data, conducting polls and surveys, and considering current political factors. It is important to note that probability is not a definite prediction, but rather an estimation based on available information.

5. Can probabilities change throughout the course of an election?

Yes, probabilities for election outcomes can change as new information becomes available. For example, a major event or a shift in public opinion can impact the likelihood of a certain candidate winning the election.