Basic Probabilities: Electing Chairperson & Secretary

In summary, according to the homework, an election is happening to vote chairman and secretary, if all members of the council are candidates. The results are as follows: a) 6/21=28% of just mens being elected, c) 3+12 the pairs of 3 womens and the mixed ones so 15/21=71% of at least a woman being elected. I don't know if I am right, that's the reason I am asking for help, also I don't know how to calculate de b).
Mrencko

Homework Statement

the administration council of one industry is composed by 7 people 4 mens and 3 womens.
an election its hapening to vote chairman and secretary, if all members of the council are candidates obtain the follow
a) just mens take positions
b) a chairwoman elected
C) at least one woman is elected[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far my work its the next
i ve determined that there is 42 forms of people take positions, those forms are under 21 pairs of chairman and secretary, this because for the a and c, order is meaningless, just b requieres order,
well my calculations end here: there are 3 pairs made of entirely womans and 6 pairs of entirely mens,
so i supose there is 12 pairs of mixed positions.
acording to my calculations
a) 6/21= 28% of just mens being elected
c) 3+12 the pairs of 3 womens and the mixed ones so 15/21=71% of at least a woman being elected
i don't know if i am right, that's the reason i am asking for help, also i don't know how to calculate de b)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mrenko:

I think something is missing from the problem statement. What is the probability distribution of a person's vote. For example, is it equally likely that each person will vote for each of the seven candidates?

Regards,
Buzz

Yes it is, is the same probabilities of vote, and everyone it's equally to everyone

Hi Mrenko:

If I understood correctly what you did, you assumed each pair of winners is equally likely to occur. Since a given pair is the result of two separate elections, are you sure this assumption is correct?

Regarding (b), this is a single election case, since only the chair election is considered. If you keep that in mind, then this case is simpler than (a) and (c).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

the administration council of one industry is composed by 7 people 4 mens and 3 womens.
an election its hapening to vote chairman and secretary, if all members of the council are candidates obtain the follow
a) just mens take positions
b) a chairwoman elected
C) at least one woman is elected[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far my work its the next
i ve determined that there is 42 forms of people take positions, those forms are under 21 pairs of chairman and secretary, this because for the a and c, order is meaningless, just b requieres order,
well my calculations end here: there are 3 pairs made of entirely womans and 6 pairs of entirely mens,
so i supose there is 12 pairs of mixed positions.
acording to my calculations
a) 6/21= 28% of just mens being elected
c) 3+12 the pairs of 3 womens and the mixed ones so 15/21=71% of at least a woman being elected
i don't know if i am right, that's the reason i am asking for help, also i don't know how to calculate de b)

The events in (a) and (c) are complementary, so if you know the probability in one case you can get it right away in the other case as well.

hi, i did this in pairs because i needed to know how much pairs of mens are there, and how much pairs of woman as well,
so i know that there is a diference between the two positions to be voted, so should i just do a permutation of 7 to 1 to found the b?
i don't get very well.
for the second response, i have issues whit the problem being divided in two positions to be voted and two genders, i don't get it as a whole, sorry need help whit that

Mrencko said:
hi, i did this in pairs because i needed to know how much pairs of mens are there, and how much pairs of woman as well,
so i know that there is a diference between the two positions to be voted, so should i just do a permutation of 7 to 1 to found the b?
i don't get very well.
for the second response, i have issues whit the problem being divided in two positions to be voted and two genders, i don't get it as a whole, sorry need help whit that

In part (a) you should use permutations rather than combinations, because the cases where Mr. A is president and Mr. B is secretary is different from the case where Mr. B is president and Mr. A is secretary. In part (b) there is no need to look at pairs at all:---think about why!

But is just asking the probabilities of a man being elected, don't matter if it's mr j,b,g,k I mean is asking how many escenarios only men's get elected for office, tell me if I am wrong, please review my results in the thread to tell if I am right Whit my calculations of probabilities. Of a and c
For B I get it culd be done Whit pairs but as you said there is no need but, should i permute 3 of 1 being the women's number? But if I permute then what how to calculate that probability?

My answer to b is 3/7 ?

Update answer I ended Whit 6/21 pairs of woman elected president, so this gives me the same probabilities of men elected to both offices, is this right?

Mrencko said:
Update answer I ended Whit 6/21 pairs of woman elected president, so this gives me the same probabilities of men elected to both offices, is this right?

No. The probability that a woman is elected president is not equal to the probability that both electees are men. I am not allowed to tell you the answer, but I can tell you that 6/21 is wrong for part (b) (but is correct for part (a)). For part (a) I looked at permutations (not combinations) and got the same answer as you got. I will let you figure out why that is.

I think I forgot to add the other 3 pairs of women elected for both offices, so it must be 9/21 this is suspicious because
Of I do the 3/7 gets the same result of probability so it must be right, correct me if not please

Mrencko said:
I think I forgot to add the other 3 pairs of women elected for both offices, so it must be 9/21 this is suspicious because
Of I do the 3/7 gets the same result of probability so it must be right, correct me if not please
That's right. Each route, when correct, gets to 3/7.

then is solved many thanks

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated for electing a chairperson and secretary?

The probability of electing a chairperson and secretary is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes where the desired candidates are chosen by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data from experiments or observations and can vary from the theoretical probability.

4. How does the number of candidates affect the probability of electing a chairperson and secretary?

The number of candidates does not affect the probability of electing a chairperson and secretary, as long as the desired candidates are still in the running. The probability remains the same, regardless of the total number of candidates.

5. Can probability be used to guarantee a specific outcome in electing a chairperson and secretary?

No, probability cannot guarantee a specific outcome in electing a chairperson and secretary. It can only provide an estimate of the likelihood of a certain outcome based on the available information and assumptions made.