What is the Radius of a Long Solenoid with a Given Induced Electric Field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter raisen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radius Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
raisen
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For a long solenoid, the magnetic field strength within the solenoid is given by the equation B = 5.0t T, where t is time in seconds. If the induced electric field outside the solenoid is 11 V/m at a distance 2.0m from the axis of the solenoid, find the radius of the solenoid.

Homework Equations



E_inside = r/2 |dB/dt|


The Attempt at a Solution



I know how to calculate the electric field outside the solenoid, but how can I associate the magnetic field inside of it with the electric field outside?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
raisen said:

Homework Statement



For a long solenoid, the magnetic field strength within the solenoid is given by the equation B = 5.0t T, where t is time in seconds. If the induced electric field outside the solenoid is 11 V/m at a distance 2.0m from the axis of the solenoid, find the radius of the solenoid.

Homework Equations



E_inside = r/2 |dB/dt|


The Attempt at a Solution



I know how to calculate the electric field outside the solenoid, but how can I associate the magnetic field inside of it with the electric field outside?

Assume that the magnetic flux through the 2.0 m circle extends only over the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.