What Is the Radius of an Arc for a Pilot Experiencing 5G at 700m/s?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jelynell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Arc Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jelynell
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Im having trouble figuring out which equation to use for this problem. The problem states: "Consider a pilot at the lowest point of a circular arc banking upward. Find the tightest radius arc that an untrained individual can fly ( a total of +5 G, G standing for the normal force the accelerating aircraft is exerting on the pilot. For example, 6G force would be exerting a normal force 6 times the persons weight.). They are traveling at 700m/s.


Homework Equations


Since this involves normal force, I thought I could somehow use: the sum of F=ma and Fw=mg
In addition I tried using a=v squared/r and/or v=2(pi)r/T


The Attempt at a Solution


In an attempt to try to solve this problem I tried using Fn= 5N in the equation Fn-Fw=ma By finding acceleration I could then use a=v squared/r to solve for r, but I don't have enough variables to plug into the first equation.
So I tried using v=2(pi)r/T giving me 700m/s=2(pi)r/T so then I could find r this way, However I do not know the value for T.
Am I using the completely wrong equations? If not, what am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I'd suggest drawing a diagram and making sure how much acceleration the plane will impart and how much is just a result of gravity.

As to your equation, you want to consider the centripetal acceleration here.
 
I could then use a=v squared/r to solve for r
I think you have it here. r = v^2/a
Your acceleration is 5 times 9.81.