What is the rank of an nxn matrix and how is it determined?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JonathanT
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix rank
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
JonathanT
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5227/nxnmatrix.png

Homework Equations



Rank(A) = the number of pivots in Matrix A.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've spent some time rewriting the matrix and other operations. I really just feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. Not making any progress. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. Oh and the answer is "2." No idea how they get that. Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: For reference this problem is from Applied Linear Algebra by Olver. Problem 1.8.17.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JonathanT said:

Homework Statement


http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5227/nxnmatrix.png


Homework Equations



Rank(A) = the number of pivots in Matrix A.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've spent some time rewriting the matrix and other operations. I really just feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. Not making any progress. Just need to be pointed in the right direction. Oh and the answer is "2." No idea how they get that. Thanks for any help in advance.

Stop and ask yourself how many linearly independent columns compose your matrix A.

If that notion confuses you, ask yourself how many zero ROWS you have after row reduction...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think I get it. I was reducing the matrix wrong. I think I have the correct rref of the matrix now. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Solution