What is the Ratio of Slit Distance to Wavelength in Laser Diffraction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
ghostops
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


After a laser beam passes through two thin parallel slits, the first completely dark fringes occur at ±14.0∘ with the original direction of the beam, as viewed on a screen far from the slits.

A)What is the ratio of the distance between the slits to the wavelength of the light illuminating the slits?
d/lambda = 2.07

B)What is the smallest positive angle, relative to the original direction of the laser beam, at which the intensity of the light is 110 the maximum intensity on the screen?

Θ=


Homework Equations



I = Iocos2(ø/2)

ø = 2∏dsinθ/λ


The Attempt at a Solution



so for this I solved for phi and then substituted that into the second equation and for this sinθ is ≈θ I just solved for theta in the 2nd equation

for ø= 2cos-1(√(1/10))
ø=2.498

then ø/(2∏(d/λ)) = Θ

for Θ I got .192 but I can't figure out what I did wrong

thank you in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting the same as you.
Are you expected to give your answer in degrees or radiens?
 
radians is what we were told to do for all of these problems