1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the relationship between area on a velocity / time graph?

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    I know that when viewing a graph in which velocity is on the y-axis and time is on the axis, the acceleration is the slope of the line. When viewing a graph in which a force is on the y-axis and a time is on the x-axis, (particularly one in which the graphed line makes a triangle) the area is the momentum. Why is it that you use the area formula for momentum and slope formula for acceleration? what is the significance of the area in a v / t graph and the slope in a F / t graph?

I have found that applying the area formula to a V / t graph gets you an answer in meters, because (1/2)*(m/s)*(s/1) = (m/2)

but I cannot seem to find a scenario in which the area correlates to any part of the problem.

In an F/t graph, the units after doing the slope formula would be kgm/s, just like momentum, accept the area is the momentum- not the slope.

Any insight?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    That would be the total displacement from the start point after time t.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks for your answer, that is indeed what I was considering because the units cancelled. the only thing that left a doubt in my mind was this more complex graph that I have in front of me that didn't match up with it, puzzling my physics teacher and myself. But I figured it out, thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook