What is the relationship between polarization vectors and spin in QFT?

In summary, the conversation discusses the polarization vector in quantum field theory and its properties. The vector is defined to have no temporal component in Minkowski space and its modulus is 1. The longitudinal component is calculated by subtracting the transverse component from the total vector. The polarization vector is related to spin and represents a particle's state. The goal is to show that the longitudinal component satisfies the equation s^2 = -1. The calculation of s^mu_L (s_L)_mu is also discussed.
RicardoMP
Homework Statement
I'm told to consider the polarization vector $$s_L^\mu=(\gamma \beta, \gamma \vec\beta/\beta)$$, which is longitudinal (##\vec s_L||\vec\beta##, where ##\beta## is the relative velocity in a Lorentz boost), and that I want to show that ##s^\mu_L## satisfies ##s^2=-1##.
Relevant Equations
$$s_L^\mu=(\gamma \beta, \gamma \vec\beta/\beta)$$
##s^\mu=(0,\vec s)## and ##|\vec s|=1##
I'm looking forward to have a better understanding of the polarization vector in quantum field theory in order to solve a particular problem.
In class and in several textbooks I see that ##s^\mu=(0,\vec s)## and ##|\vec s|=1##. Are polarizations vectors defined to have no temporal component in Minkowski space and for its modulus to be 1? If I square the longitudinal part I get 0 for which I assume that the only contribution to ##s^2## comes from the transverse part(##s^\mu=s^\mu_L+s^\mu_T##).
How is this polarization vector related to spin and what does it represent in a particle's state?

Thank you and stay safe.

Physics news on Phys.org
RicardoMP said:
I want to show that ##s^\mu_L## satisfies ##s^2=-1##.
Do you know how to calculate ##s^\mu_L \left(s_L \right)_\mu##?

Related to What is the relationship between polarization vectors and spin in QFT?

1. What are polarization vectors in QFT?

Polarization vectors in QFT refer to the mathematical objects used to describe the polarization state of a particle in quantum field theory. They are used to determine the direction and amplitude of the electromagnetic field associated with a particle.

2. How are polarization vectors used in QFT calculations?

Polarization vectors are used in QFT calculations to determine the scattering amplitudes and cross-sections of particles in high-energy collisions. They are also used to calculate the polarization effects of external fields on particles.

3. What is the significance of polarization vectors in QFT?

Polarization vectors play a crucial role in QFT as they allow for the calculation of observables that can be compared with experimental data. They also help to understand the behavior of particles in high-energy interactions and the effects of external fields on their polarization states.

4. How are polarization vectors related to spin in QFT?

In QFT, the polarization state of a particle is directly related to its spin. The polarization vector of a particle with spin s has s+1 possible states, corresponding to the different orientations of its spin in space.

5. Are polarization vectors unique for each particle in QFT?

Yes, polarization vectors are unique for each particle in QFT. This is because the polarization state of a particle is determined by its quantum numbers, such as spin, charge, and mass, which are unique for each type of particle.