What Is the Required Wing Area for a 2000lb Plane to Land at 35mph?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Horizons1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Drag Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Horizons1
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
What wing area should a plane weighing 2000lbs have to enable it to land at a speed of 35mph?
Max CL= 1.50


Formula for lift

lb= CL*ρ*A*v^2/2

when i set up the problem i get this

2000= 1.50*ρ*A*(35)^2/2 and i realize I am trying to solve for A (area) but what does the ρ stand for? I read its stands for the density of the fluid
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Horizons1 said:
What wing area should a plane weighing 2000lbs have to enable it to land at a speed of 35mph?
Max CL= 1.50


Formula for lift

lb= CL*ρ*A*v^2/2

when i set up the problem i get this

2000= 1.50*ρ*A*(35)^2/2 and i realize I am trying to solve for A (area) but what does the ρ stand for? I read its stands for the density of the fluid

The rho is density of air at the landing strip. Watch your units!