What is the resistance of the bulb filament

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a transformer in a microscope illuminator to step down the 120 V AC of a wall outlet to power a 12.0 V, 50 W microscope bulb. The questions asked are the resistance of the bulb filament, the RMS current of the bulb filament, and the RMS current in the primary coil. The equations that can be used to solve these questions are Ohm's law and the formula for calculating power. The person seeking help is advised to do some research on these topics and make an effort before asking for further assistance.
isay1224
Homework Statement
A microscope illuminator uses a transformer to step down the 120 V AC of the wall outlet to power a 12.0 V ,50 W
microscope bulb
what is the rms current of the bulb filament
what is the rms current in the primary coil
Relevant Equations
i dont know really help
i don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
isay1224 said:
Homework Statement: A microscope illuminator uses a transformer to step down the 120 V AC of the wall outlet to power a 12.0 V ,50 W
microscope bulb
what is the rms current of the bulb filament
what is the rms current in the primary coil
Homework Equations: i don't know really help

i don't know where to start
You will need to show some effort. Assume that the bulb is dissipating power at its 50 W rating.

@isay1224 -- Per the PF rules, you need to show your best efforts on your schoolwork problem before we can offer tutorial help. This thread is locked.

Please re-post and use the hints you have been provided above to start working this problem. Start by identifying the equations that relate voltage, current and power.

Also, please use a more descriptive thread title when you start the new thread. The title should describe the problem being asked about in the thread. Thank you very much.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current. It is caused by the collisions of electrons with atoms and molecules in a material.

2. How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) using a device called a multimeter. The multimeter sends a known amount of current through the material and measures the voltage drop, then using Ohm's law (R=V/I), it calculates the resistance.

3. What is the resistance of the bulb filament?

The resistance of a bulb filament can vary depending on the type of bulb and its design. However, on average, the resistance of a bulb filament is around 10 ohms.

4. Does the resistance of a bulb filament change?

Yes, the resistance of a bulb filament can change due to factors such as temperature and age. As the bulb is used, the filament gets hotter and its resistance increases. This is known as thermal resistance.

5. How does the resistance of a bulb filament affect its brightness?

The resistance of a bulb filament is directly related to its brightness. As the resistance increases, the current decreases, and therefore the brightness decreases. This is why a bulb appears dimmer when it is reaching the end of its lifespan.