What is the Resonant Frequency of a Driven, Undamped Oscillator?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Varnson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Damped Oscillator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Varnson
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Driven, damped oscillator - URGENT!

Homework Statement


A driven, undamped oscillator has an amplitude of 3.0cm at a driving frequency of 9 rad/s and an amplitude of 2.4cm at a driving frequency of 7 rad/s. What is the resonant frequency of the oscillator?


Homework Equations


A = (F0/m)/(w0^2-w^2)


The Attempt at a Solution


My prof. gave me the above formula as a hint, but I have no idea where to start from and what to do. Thanks for the help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The resonant frequency is [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. It looks like you have two formulas, and two unknowns: [tex]F_0 / m[/tex] and [tex]\omega_0[/tex]. Should be solveable.
 
I solved it, for some reason I just couldn't see it adn it was sitting in front of me lol. Thanks for the help!