What is the Result of Raising a Complex Number to a Power?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form Rectangular
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Petrus
Messages
702
Reaction score
0
Hello MHB,
calculate $$\left(\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \right)^{100}$$ in the form $$a+ib$$

progress:
I start to calculate argument and get it to $$r=1$$ (argument)
then $$\cos\theta=\frac{1}{2} \ sin\theta=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$ we se it's in first quadrant( where x and y is positive)
$$1*e^{i\frac{100\pi}{3}}$$
notice that we can always take away 2pi so we can simplify that to
$$1*e^{i\frac{\pi}{3}}$$
$$1*e^{i\frac{\pi}{3}}=\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + i \sin (\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$
but the facit says $$\frac{-1}{2}-i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$

Regards,

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
calculate $$\left(\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \right)^{100}$$ in the form $$a+ib$$

progress:
I start to calculate argument and get it to $$r=1$$ (argument)
then $$\cos\theta=\frac{1}{2} \ sin\theta=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$ we se it's in first quadrant( where x and y is positive)
$$1*e^{i\frac{100\pi}{3}}$$
notice that we can always take away 2pi so we can simplify that to
$$1*e^{i\frac{\pi}{3}}$$
$$1*e^{i\frac{\pi}{3}}=\cos(\frac{\pi}{3}) + i \sin (\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$
but the facit says $$\frac{-1}{2}-i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}$$

Regards,

Hey Petrus!

What is $$\frac {100\pi}{3} \pmod{2\pi}$$?
 
I like Serena said:
Hey Petrus!

What is $$\frac {100\pi}{3} \pmod{2\pi}$$?
$$\frac{4}{3}$$

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I like Serena I see what I did wrong :)

Regards,
 
Petrus said:
$$\frac{4}{3}$$

That should be $$\frac{4\pi}{3}$$. (Yeah, I know, I'm a nitpicker.)

So what's $$\cos \frac{4\pi}{3} + i \sin \frac{4\pi}{3}$$?
 
I like Serena said:
(Yeah, I know, I'm a nitpicker
nitpicker or not, I am grateful for the fast responed!

Regards,
 
If I were to work the problem, I would write:

$$\left(\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \right)^{100}= \left(\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}+2k\pi \right)+i\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{3}+2k\pi \right) \right)^{100}$$

Now applying de Moivre's theorem we have:

$$\cos\left(\frac{100\pi}{3}+200k\pi \right)+i\sin\left(\frac{100\pi}{3}+200k\pi \right)=\cos\left(\frac{4\pi}{3}+232k\pi \right)+i\sin\left(\frac{4\pi}{3}+232k\pi \right)= -\left(\frac{1}{2}+i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \right)$$