What Is the RMS Amplitude of a Sinusoid in a Noisy Environment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TomUIC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitude Rms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
TomUIC
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Q: A single sinusoidal signal is found in a large amount of noise. If the RMS value of the noise is 0.5 volts and the SNR is 10 dB, what is the RMS amplitude of the sinusoid?

I've related the question to the following equation: SNR=20log(singal/noise)dB

My answer is 1.58 volts, BUT I'm not entirely sure if that is what they are asking for. Just looking for a little guidance on the question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TomUIC. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

20.log(1.58/0.5) = 10 dB so your answer looks right. :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm ... the answer is exactly 10 ... homework?
 
Windadct said:
Hmmmm ... the answer is exactly 10 ... homework?

Yes homework, what relationship am I missing? I'm new to this area so any help is appreciated.