1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Signal to Noise Ratio: Questions for my multimedia and signals class

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    Question one
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x[n] = 5sin(0.22*pi)
    The root mean square (RMS) value eof a sin wave is known to be A/root(2) where A is the amplitude. If the noise in a system is known to have an RMS value of 0.5, what si the signal to noise ration (in dB) of the x[n] in this syetem.

2. Relevant equations
    RMS = A/root(2)
    SNR = (Asignal/Anoise)^2
    SNRdB = 10log10(SNR)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, i figured that "A" for the RMS given (0.5) is root(2)/2

However, i do not know that which A is Asignal and which is Anoise (root(2)/2 or 5*sin(.22*pi) or just 5).

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't the formula above have n on the right side? Otherwise, all your values of x[n] are exactly the same.

4. May 12, 2010 #3
    Thats what I keep thinking, but i that isnt what the problem has in the notation.

5. May 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Then I'd be willing to bet that it's a typo. Otherwise you don't have a sine wave. In that case x[n] is equal to about 3.1871 for all n. IOW, it's constant.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook