What Is the RMS Speed of a Nitrogen Molecule at 35°C?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 16K views
synchronous
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Compute the rms speed of a nitrogen molecule of 35.0 celsius.

Homework Equations



V(rms) = sqrt((3RT)/M)

The Attempt at a Solution



I plugged in 8.31 for R and 308 K for T and 14.0 g/mol for M. I arrived at a solution of 23.4 m/s but this answer came back as incorrect in online homework. However, I used this value to complete parts b and c to this question and correctly completed them. What gives?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of questions to ponder:

(a) If 1 mole of nitrogen atoms has a mass of 14.0 g, then a mole of nitrogen molecules has a mass of ____?

(b) If 1 mole of nitrogen molecules has a mass of (insert answer to a here), then a single nitrogen molecule has a mass of ____?

Also, as Dadface said, convert from g to kg.
 
Nitrogen is a diatomic molecule. Thanks for the reminder...all is well.