What is the significance of the dispersion relation?

In summary, the dispersion relation relates the energy and momentum of a system, and can be used to determine the group velocity of a wave packet inside a medium. It is also useful for understanding the behavior of particles in a solid, such as electrons moving through a lattice.
patric44
TL;DR Summary
what is the significance of the dispersion relation?
hi guys
i would like to know what is the physical significance of the dispersion relation , i know that it relates the energy and momentum vector and correspondingly the energy and momentum with each other , but what does this tell me about the system , and why should i care that the dispersion relation for free electrons in vacuum is given by
$$E=\frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}$$
and for light just ##\omega=ck## , it seems that the electron's energy in vacuum is quadratic in the momentum but what do i gain by knowing that ??
i have too many questions , i will appreciate any help ,thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
It tells you how the wave function behaves. Particularly it tells you that a wave packet, which is not too broad in momentum space moves with the group velocity ##\vec{v}_g=\vec{\nabla}_k \omega(\vec{k})##. What do you get for the dispersion relations you mentioned?

vanhees71 said:
It tells you how the wave function behaves. Particularly it tells you that a wave packet, which is not too broad in momentum space moves with the group velocity ##\vec{v}_g=\vec{\nabla}_k \omega(\vec{k})##. What do you get for the dispersion relations you mentioned?
since $$\omega(k) = \frac{\hbar*k^{2}}{2m} \;⇒ $$
$$
\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial\;k_{x}}\hat{k_{x}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial\;k_{y}}\hat{k_{y}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial\;k_{z}}\hat{k_{z}}\right)\left[\omega(\vec{k}) \right]= \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial\;k_{x}}\hat{k_{x}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial\;k_{y}}\hat{k_{y}}+\frac{\partial}{\partial\;k_{z}}\hat{k_{z}}\right)\left[\frac{\hbar*\vec{k}.\vec{k}}{2m}\right]
$$
$$\vec{v}_{g} = \frac{\hbar}{m}\left[k_{x}\hat{k_{x}}+k_{y}\hat{k_{y}}+k_{z}\hat{k_{z}}\right]$$
isn't that right

Likes vanhees71
Yes, and that looks pretty familiar for the velocity of a free particle, because what you got is
$$\vec{v}_g=\hbar \vec{k}/m=\vec{p}/m.$$

• Informative
Likes patric44
so the dispersion relation is useful for determining the group velocity of the wave packet inside a medium , i am sorry i have another question , considering an electron moving inside a solid , after solving the Schrodinger equation ,say the following E,k diagram is obtained
gan_bands.jpg

is that complicated diagram just indicate that the electron wave packet is changing its velocity inside the lattice or is there more insight to it

patric44 said:
Summary:: what is the significance of the dispersion relation?

hi guys
i would like to know what is the physical significance of the dispersion relation , i know that it relates the energy and momentum vector and correspondingly the energy and momentum with each other , but what does this tell me about the system , and why should i care that the dispersion relation for free electrons in vacuum is given by
$$E=\frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}$$
and for light just ##\omega=ck## , it seems that the electron's energy in vacuum is quadratic in the momentum but what do i gain by knowing that ??
i have too many questions , i will appreciate any help ,thanks .

Well, one thing that could come to mind is "How can I obey both conservation of energy and conservation of momentum for the absorption and emission of light"? This question is highly relevant in semiconductor physics.

• Informative
Likes patric44

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes how the frequency and wavelength of a wave are related. It is used to understand the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as sound waves in air or light waves in a material.

2. Why is the dispersion relation significant?

The dispersion relation is significant because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of waves in different mediums. It helps us to understand how waves are affected by factors such as the medium's properties, the wave's frequency, and the angle of incidence.

3. How is the dispersion relation calculated?

The dispersion relation is calculated by taking into account the properties of the medium and the type of wave being studied. For example, the dispersion relation for electromagnetic waves in a vacuum is given by the speed of light, while the dispersion relation for sound waves in air depends on factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. What is the relationship between the dispersion relation and wave properties?

The dispersion relation is directly related to wave properties such as frequency, wavelength, and speed. It describes how these properties are interrelated and how they are affected by the medium through which the wave is traveling.

5. How does the dispersion relation impact real-world applications?

The dispersion relation has a significant impact on various real-world applications, such as telecommunications, seismology, and optics. It helps engineers and scientists design and optimize systems that rely on the propagation of waves, such as fiber optic communication networks or earthquake detection systems.