What is the smallest value of δ that satisfies the given graph and equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FritoTaco
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
FritoTaco
Messages
132
Reaction score
23

Homework Statement



Use the given graph (see attachment) of [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] to find a number δ (delta) such that

if: [itex]|x-1|<δ[/itex] then: [itex]|x^2-1|<\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex].

(Round your answer down to three decimal places.)

Homework Equations



No equations used.

The Attempt at a Solution



I need to find the smallest value of δ

[itex]x^2=0.5[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{0.5}[/itex]

[itex]x=0.707106781[/itex]

[itex]x^2=1.5[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{1.5}[/itex]

[itex]|x-1| ---> |8-0.0701067|=7.292893[/itex]

[itex]|x-1| ---> |8-1.224744871|=6.775255[/itex]

Now I would pick the smaller value and round:

[itex]6.775[/itex]

I use WebAssign, and it says I got it wrong. I don't know what I should try.
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
FritoTaco said:

Homework Statement



Use the given graph (see attachment) of [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] to find a number δ (delta) such that

if: [itex]|x-1|<δ[/itex] then: [itex]|x^2-1|<\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex].

(Round your answer down to three decimal places.)

Homework Equations



No equations used.

The Attempt at a Solution



I need to find the smallest value of δ

[itex]x^2=0.5[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{0.5}[/itex]

[itex]x=0.707106781[/itex]

[itex]x^2=1.5[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{1.5}[/itex]

[itex]|x-1| ---> |8-0.0701067|=7.292893[/itex]

[itex]|x-1| ---> |8-1.224744871|=6.775255[/itex]

Now I would pick the smaller value and round:

[itex]6.775[/itex]

I use WebAssign, and it says I got it wrong. I don't know what I should try.
Your value for δ is way too large. You want an interval around x = 1 on the x-axis so that the y values on the graph are between .5 and 1.5.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FritoTaco
Mark44 said:
Your value for δ is way too large. You want an interval around x = 1 on the x-axis so that the y values on the graph are between .5 and 1.5.

Uh oh, I have no idea why i was subtracting 8 when it says | x - 1 | in the question. Thanks for saying that Mark, I got 0.225 and got it correct. Thank you!
 
FritoTaco said:
Uh oh, I have no idea why i was subtracting 8 when it says | x - 1 | in the question. Thanks for saying that Mark, I got 0.225 and got it correct. Thank you!
That's why Greg pays us the big bucks!

Oh, wait, we don't get paid at all!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FritoTaco
FritoTaco said:

Homework Statement



Use the given graph (see attachment) of [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] to find a number δ (delta) such that

if: [itex]|x-1|<δ[/itex] then: [itex]|x^2-1|<\dfrac{1}{2}[/itex].

(Round your answer down to three decimal places.)

Homework Equations



No equations used.

The Attempt at a Solution



I need to find the smallest value of δ

[itex]x^2=0.5[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{0.5}[/itex]

[itex]x=0.707106781[/itex]

[itex]x^2=1.5[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{1.5}[/itex]

[itex]|x-1| ---> |8-0.0701067|=7.292893[/itex]

[itex]|x-1| ---> |8-1.224744871|=6.775255[/itex]

Now I would pick the smaller value and round:

[itex]6.775[/itex]

I use WebAssign, and it says I got it wrong. I don't know what I should try.

Why bother finding the smallest possible value of ##\delta > 0##? The question does not tell you to do that; it just tells you to find a ##\delta## that "works".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FritoTaco
Well this is what happens:

[itex]|x-1|--->|1-0.0701067|=0.2928932[/itex]

[itex]|x-1|--->|1-1.2247448|=0.2247448[/itex]

Now I rounded the first one 0.293 and it says:

"Please try again. For finding δ such that |x − a| < δ implies |x2 − a2| < b, start by finding the solutions to |x2 − a2| = b. Choose δ so that neither of these solutions are at a distance smaller than δ of a."

So that's why I had to choose the second line instead.