What is the solution of x*exp(-x)=1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Odyssey
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 16K views
Odyssey
Messages
84
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the solution of the equation x*exp(-x)=1?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I tried taking the ln of both sides...and I got
ln(x*exp(-x))=ln(1)
ln(x)-ln(exp(x))=ln(1)
ln(x)-x=ln(1)

Then I don't know what to do next...am I on the right track at least?

Thanks for the help! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]xe^{-x}=1[/tex]

Use what you know about negative exponents to rewrite this problem in a more simple form. Where is this problem from? You may need to show that there is no solution rather than finding the solution.
 
futurebird is right. You may have to show it doesn't have a solution. Clearly x>0 is the only possibility. So you got ln(x)-x=ln(1)=0. Take f(x)=ln(x)-x. Look at f'(x) to figure out where it has a max/min etc. Can it ever be zero?
 
x=1 works.

Ooh- my bad- misread the question. It doesn't have a solution.
 
christianjb said:
x=1 works.

You scared me for a moment there!


An easy way to see that there is so solution is to first simplify then graph both sides of the equation by setting them equal to y.
 
Graphing them both and showing the don't intersect is not really the most rigorous proof...

Use Dick's method in post 3.