Proving Natural Log Proof: ln|1+σx|

In summary, the statement to be proved is that for small |x| with |σx|<1,ln(1+σx) = ax + O(x^3).wherea = σ/2 - 1/2.This follows from the Taylor expansion of the logarithm, which isln(1+x) = x + O(x^2).
Nusc

Homework Statement

Prove the following statement:
[tex] ln|1+\sigma x | = \frac{1}{2} ln|1-x^2| + \frac{\sigma}{2} ln| \frac{ |1+x|}{|1-x|}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from right to left would be easier:
[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} ln|(1+x)(1-x)| + \frac{\sigma}{2} ln| 1+x| - \frac{\sigma}{2} ln(1-x) \\
= \frac{1}{2} [ ln(1+x) + ln(1-x) + \sigma ln(1+x) - \sigma ln(1-x)] \\
=\frac{1}{2} [ln|(1+x)(1+\sigma)| + ln|(1-x)(1-\sigma)|] \\
= \frac{1}{2} [ ln |(1+x)^{1+\sigma} (1-x)^{1-\sigma} |]\\
= \frac{1}{2} ln |( 1+x ) (1+x)^\sigma \frac{1+x}{(1-x)^\sigma}|]
[/tex]
Then I get stuck. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement to be proved is clearly not true in general. Try σ=0. Are you sure you have stated the whole question, word for word?

Do you know of any identities that would give me the left hand side? Any references? I cannot find anything online. Calculus textbooks just give integrals and not identities for logs.

I need to take the natural log of the following expression.
[tex] \frac{1}{2}( C + D ) + \frac{1}{2}( C - D ) \sigma
[/tex]

The idea was to use that identity, then rearranging above
[tex] \frac{1}{2}( C + D ) [ 1 + \frac{(C-D)}{(C+D)} \sigma ]
[/tex]

The answer is

[tex]
ln2 + \frac{1}{2}ln|4CD|+\frac{\sigma }{2} ln|\frac{C}{D} |
[/tex]

Without that identity, It's pretty hard to achieve that result. Do you know of anything I can use?

What's really important is that I at least get this form: [tex] \frac{\sigma }{2} ln|\frac{C}{D} | [/tex]

Last edited:
Nusc said:

Homework Statement

[tex] ln|1+\sigma x | = \frac{1}{2} ln|1-x^2| + \frac{\sigma}{2} ln| \frac{ |1+x|}{|1-x|}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} ln|(1+x)(1-x)| + \frac{\sigma}{2} ln| 1+x| - \frac{\sigma}{2} ln(1-x) \\
[/tex]
You appear to be a step or two away.

Added in Edit:
Never mind! I was looking at the wrong side of the equation.

Last edited:
Nusc said:

Homework Statement

[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
[/tex]

Your desired result is false. For small ##|x|## we can expand both sides in a series in ##x##. For ease of writing, I will use the symbol ##a## instead of ##\sigma##. Let
$$L(x) = \ln (1+ ax) , \;\; R(x) = \frac{1}{2} \ln(1-x^2) + \frac{a}{2} \ln \left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right).$$
We have
$$L(x) = ax - \frac{1}{2} a^2 x^2 + \frac{1}{3} a^3 x^3 - \frac{1}{4} a^4 x^4 + O(x^5),$$
but
$$R(x) = ax - \frac{1}{2} x^2 + \frac{1}{3} a^3 x^3 - \frac{1}{4} x^4 + O(x^5).$$
Note that in ##L(x), R(x)## I have omitted the absolute-value signs; those signs are redundant when ##|x| < 1##, which is true for small ##|x|##.

Was there a typo? Is there a way to determine if there is one?

Or is there an easier way to simplify the natural log of the expression?

[tex] \frac{1}{2}( C + D ) + \frac{1}{2}( C - D ) \sigma
[/tex]

with obtaining
[tex] \frac{\sigma }{2} ln|\frac{C}{D} | [/tex] at least in the final answer?[tex]
ln [ \frac{1}{2} D ( \frac{C}{D} +1 ) + \frac{\sigma}{2} D ( \frac{C}{D} -1) ]
[/tex]

Nusc said:
Was there a typo?
For it even to be approximately true you need to change the 1/2 factor in the first expression on the right to σ/2. That makes it more symmetric, so a lot more reasonable.
It still is not going to be generally true. The roles of the σ on the left and the σ's on the right are too different. I would guess you are only supposed to show this as asymptotic behaviour for small x. (It is equivalent to (1+x)n approximating enx.)

Ray Vickson said:
$$R(x) = ax - \frac{1}{2} x^2 + \frac{1}{3} a^3 x^3 - \frac{1}{4} x^4 + O(x^5).$$
a3?

Is there a table of asymptotic expansions or reference I can refer to to get the desired result? I'm kind of stumped.

Nusc said:
Is there a table of asymptotic expansions or reference I can refer to to get the desired result? I'm kind of stumped.
First step is to correct the RHS of the statement to be proved. See the first para of post #8.
Next, as Ray points out, on the assumption that |x|<1 and |σx|<1, all those modulus signs can be thrown away.
Then you can exponentiate both sides to get rid of the logarithms. Post what you get.

What is the purpose of proving the natural log proof for ln|1+σx|?

The purpose of proving the natural log proof for ln|1+σx| is to show the mathematical reasoning and steps involved in obtaining the logarithmic expression for a given function. This proof is important in understanding the properties of logarithms and their applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

What is the definition of ln|1+σx|?

The natural logarithm of |1+σx| is defined as the power to which the base number e must be raised to obtain the argument of the logarithm, in this case, |1+σx|. In other words, it is the exponent that e must be raised to in order to equal |1+σx|.

What are the steps involved in proving the natural log proof for ln|1+σx|?

The steps involved in proving the natural log proof for ln|1+σx| are as follows:

1. Write the given expression in its exponential form.
  2. Apply the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression.
  3. Use algebraic manipulations to obtain the final form of the expression.
  4. Verify the final expression by substituting values for the variables and ensuring that it satisfies the original equation.

What are the properties of logarithms used in proving the natural log proof for ln|1+σx|?

There are three main properties of logarithms used in proving the natural log proof for ln|1+σx|:

• Product rule: ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b)
  • Quotient rule: ln(a/b) = ln(a) - ln(b)
  • Power rule: ln(an) = n * ln(a)

These properties allow us to manipulate the expression and simplify it into a form where the natural logarithm can be easily calculated.

Why is it important to understand the natural log proof for ln|1+σx|?

Understanding the natural log proof for ln|1+σx| is important for several reasons:

• It helps in understanding the properties of logarithms and their applications in various fields of science and mathematics.
  • It allows us to solve more complex equations involving logarithmic functions.
  • It provides a deeper understanding of the concept of logarithms and their relationship with exponential functions.
  • It lays the foundation for more advanced topics in mathematics and science, such as calculus and differential equations.